Designating The Kiddies

by Valis 13 Replies latest forum suggestions

• Valis
    Valis

THIS IS IN NO WAY AN ATTEMPT TO RATIONALIZE THE ILL THOUGHT WORDS OF ANY USER!

I was thinking today that it would be usefull and most definitely appropriate to have some kind of designation for an underage user here, besides the birthday thing, which obviously could be used and abused by someone. I was thinking maybe a small icon in their user profile that is requested by the parent of the user. Kind of a failsafe perhaps from keeping the date feature from being abused and clarifying who are the lovely kids that post on our board. Just a thought in an attempt to avoid the kind of insanity that happened yesterday? I guess.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

I think that's a great idea... or something along those lines.... Whaddaya think Simon?

Inq

• Simon
    Simon

Ah ...

The problem is with COPPA. I can't really advertise or promote the board as being suitable for children without being a lot stricter on what is allowed and getting signed permissions from parents / guardians and all stuff like that.

I'm really disappointed at what happened yesterday and damn angry but while I try and make the forum as friendly as possible, I cannot guarantee that it will be, so could not in good conscience do anything that could be seen to promote it as 'suitable for children'.

Of course, children are perfectly welcome to use the site but it needs to be with their parents authorisations and supervision.

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

I see whatcha mean Simon... that is a bit tricky.... maybe a good suggestion is for the parents to put something like "I'm a kid... " in the signature so that everyone will have a chance to know when they read the post that it is by a child... but more importantly I suggest that we as posters do a bit of research before we answer posts... I think it's only fair.... especially since there are children who do post here, even if they are in the minority... no pun intended... lol

Just my 2

Inq

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

I see no reason that a minor who wants to be taken seriously would enter their correct age... just a thought.

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

Hi Phantom...

I agree, I don't think posting an age is necessary... I think it might help children from being hurt though if the fact that they were kids was a little easier to glean... but I think mostly, posters need to be aware that there are children here... and to make sure of ourselves before we reply to them.... checking someone's profile is pretty easy... and a signature with something along those lines would be most helpful..

Toodles for now

Inq

• Valis
    Valis

hrmm....I was maybe referring to something that the parent would initiate if they wanted their child to post here. Something obvious enough to make it very clear one was speaking to a child. And since there aren't that many IMO it wouldn't put too much additional burden on Simon, or maybe one of the other mods that could do that. Just a suggestion and maybe a way to make things better.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I agree, when the parents permit a child posting here, a 'little something, like an icon' would be very easy to know immediately there is a child involved.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

It would be a good idea... as long as my mum wouldn't be allowed to play a prank on me and get that icon in my profile... Eh mum?

-

Blue Bubblegum Girl

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

Human decency and common sense would eliminate most if not all of the types of comments that were posted yesterday.

Human decency in that if we treated everyone with respect, then we won't have to worry if we're talking to a child or not. Our habit of appropriate behavior will act as our safety net. (I'm referring to not attacking people here.)

Common sense in that as the old adage goes it pays to "look before you leap". A little "elbow grease" (reading everything before you post) is a small price to pay for the confidence that we're speaking to the issue intelligently and appropriately.

Syrup

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit