Ozzie's Weekend Poll #68

by ozziepost 23 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

Owyergoin? I hope this weekend will prove to give you a rest from your usual labours. That's what freedom's all about, eh? Mrs Ozzie and I have been working especially hard recently and so we're looking forward to doing.................not much! The weather here is very changeable. Hot one moment and cold winds the next! Tonite we 'enjoyed' a fierce storm, so who knows what Sunday will bring? This past week we've been very pleased to have contact with others who've seen the truth about "the Troof" and we're looking forward to a few meetups.

So, what should we reminisce about this weekend? Ya know there's one thing that seems to be universally questioned about Borg practices. What is it? Well, this week's poll qusetion is:

Why don't dubs like beards?

1. They remind them of Russell.

2. They do, but the Borg tells them they can't.

3. It's no good for kissing!

4. The WTS would lose money on its Gillette investments.

5. Because only moustaches are "theocratic".

6. The Watchtower says so.

7. The G.B. don't like them.

8. A beard reminds them of sailors.

9. A beard's just "worldly".

10. If beards were allowed, who knows what could be next?

11. They're not scriptural..........um, aren't they?

12. Other (please detail)

Once more we're looking forward to your responses. Enjoy!

Cheers, Ozzie

Freedom means not having to wear a tie.

• gumby
    gumby

Gday Oz,

The weather where I am at is in the 80's during the day, and in the 50's at night! Eat your hearts out

6. The Watchtower says so.

Maybe being clean shaven and looking different is to them, like the jews being circumcised.

If god didn't want skin there....he wouldn't have put it there. If he didn't want hair on our face......he wouldn't have put it there.

Gumby

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

At first I think it was because wearing a beard reminded JWs of Russell, but it soon became a way of keeping all men looking alike. Kinda like wearing a suit jacket and tie at all kingdom hall functions.

• caspian
    caspian

Yeah the old beard debate, LOL

3. It's no good for kissing!

When I was about five, we got to the book study group earlier than normal, and one of the older sisters was having her extreme facial hair shaved by another sister.

When she was finished, this old sister insisted on giving me a big smacker on the chops, EEEuuuuwwww. she was still all stubbly

Ever since then I have had nightmares about bearded people wanting to kiss me .

Apart from that I have nothing against beards as long as they don't get to close.

Hope you are OK Ozzie.

Caspian.

• Gopher
    Gopher

From what I've seen, the JW's just want to throw up another artificial barrier between themselves and the world. So my answer is:

I was assigned a "Theo-krap-tick Misery School" talk on this very subject in about 1980, based on a Watchtower article. It said that beards would hinder the kingdom preaching work, because in the public's mind they are associated with rebellious people.

No scriptures could be cited in support of that argument, other than the one that says "do all things for the kingdom's sake".

Coincidentally, in the audience that night, was a newcomer to the Kingdom Hall (or one who hadn't attended in several years), and guess what? He was wearing a beard! I was so embarrassed to have to give that talk with him listening.

• blondie
    blondie

1. They remind them of Russell.

3. It's no good for kissing! Are the GB kissing men!!!!!

4. The WTS would lose money on its Gillette investments.

5. Because only moustaches are "theocratic". (but only on black and Hispanic men)

6. The Watchtower says so. (didn't they say the end was coming in 1914, 1925, 1975....)

7. The G.B. don't like them. (Some GB had beards...Van Amburgh for instance)

8. A beard reminds them of sailors.

9. A beard's just "worldly". Only hippies, druggies, and terrorists wear beards

10. If beards were allowed, who knows what could be next? Men might let their hair grow long, (the Jesus look)

11. They're not scriptural..........um, aren't they?

12. Other Until 1969 they wouldn't even let Jesus have a beard

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

But just imagine, Gopher! If he'd been "stumbled" you'd have been doing him a favour, eh?!!

Cheers, Ozzie

• Gopher
    Gopher
    If he'd been "stumbled" you'd have been doing him a favour, eh?!!

LOL, you're so right. He didn't stick around the Borg very long. Who knows if that talk helped him make up his mind?

LOL @ Blondie about "they didn't even let Jesus have a beard until 1969". Apparently they got "new light" that Jesus was a Jewish man.

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

12. other--- They take too much time to trim and maintain. This time could be used to preach.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Gopher/Blondie:

What I find curious about that time was that in fact their portrayal of Jesus in such a way was labelling him with being effeminite - for that's why us guys first started to shave wasn't it?

Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit