Ozzie's Weekend Poll #68

by ozziepost 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

Ozzie -- I'm sure Jesus was in touch with his "feminine" side, beard or no beard.

If Jesus had no beard, surely the Scribes and Pharisees would have mentioned it as a point against him -- "look, there's that man who violates the law by shaving off his beard and mustache".

Also on the night of his betrayal, Judas wouldn't have had to kiss him to identify him to the authorities. He simply could have told them -- "go to the garden of Gethsemane and look for the clean-shaven man in his 30's".

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Quite true, Gopher, and it underscores how ludicrous the Borg's portrayal of Jesus was and how bizarre its teaching on beards is today.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Amazing
    Amazing

12: Other ...

"Having a beard means that you could be mistaken at the door for a Hippie ... and this could confuse the householder as to the urgency of your life-saving message ... and this could stumble them ... and cause them to not join the Borg ... errrr ... lose their everlasting life." Gawd!

• blondie
    blondie

The beard two-step was in 1968:

*** w68 5/1 p. 288 Questions from Readers ***
    Nevertheless, as already shown, it is apparent that Jesus did wear a beard, and so artistic representations of him in future Watch Tower publications will harmonize with the Scriptural evidence to that effect.

Doubtless the early Christians followed the custom of the time and locality in which they lived, with regard to the wearing of a beard. The Roman custom was beardlessness. Romans converted to Christianity would very likely continue in the Roman custom, while converts from the Jewish community would continue in the Jewish custom of wearing a beard. (Does that mean Jewish converts today can retain their beards?)

In recent years in many lands a beard or long hair on a man attracts immediate notice and may, in the minds of the majority, classify such a person undesirably with extremists or as rebels against society. God?s ministers want to avoid making any impression that would take attention away from their ministry or hinder anyone from listening to the truth.
  • Amazing
    Amazing

HI Blondie,

Excellent find on that Watchtower article:

" ... classify such a person undesirably with extremists or as rebels against society."

This was code language for "Hippies" as I noted above. Since I have left the JWs, I have worn a beard. It is common for ex-JW men to sport beards ... a kind of rebellion against the control-freak Watchtower leaders.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    In recent years in many lands a beard or long hair on a man attracts immediate notice and may, in the minds of the majority, classify such a person undesirably with extremists or as rebels against society.

This might have been true back in the 60's and a llittle while in the 70's, but in this decade and for at least 20 years that I know of, beards are perfectly acceptable. (well trimmed, well groomed beards that is)

Many doctors, lawyers, and other professional men have beards. I never think anything of it when a man has a beard, and I didn't when we were JW's either.

• Dawn
    Dawn

This might have been true back in the 60's and a llittle while in the 70's, but in this decade and for at least 20 years that I know

Remember, the "men in charge" are all old geezers - it'll be about 10-15 more years before a beard is acceptable (ie: before they die off and newer replacements take over). I remember when a mustache was not acceptable - but it appears to be ok now.

It all goes back to their same old method - appearances are more important that content.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

12. Other

It's a matter of custom. "The Roman custom was beardlessness."

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

And JWs don't want to look like Jews and Jesus.

• morty
    morty

Beards are just not sexy...........I like my men smooooooooooth.........

michelle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit