Sox, Cubs......I Believe

by rocketman 27 Replies latest jw friends

• caligirl
    caligirl

Ah yes, the Blow Sox live up to their name!

I told my husband that the Red Sox are New England's Padres - Almost always lose, but you can't help but root for them anyways, (home team, and all that) and sometimes( very rarely), they surprise you and actually win!

• crownboy
    crownboy

Ditto, Soledad.

I must however give the game ball (I know they don't really give those in baseball ) to Grady Little, for managing the worst inning of his career. Did he expect to go out and have Pedro say "I'm out of juice, skip. I'll do the responsible thing and proceed to the bench so that a well rested reliever can finish the game for me"? Grady should have yanked him when he went out there to talk to him; the Boston bullpen has been lights out in the postseason (excepting game 1 versus the Athletics). With that said, I'm still proud that my team won. I would have liked to have seen the Yankees beat up on the Cubs in the World Series, but the Marlins will work just fine as well .

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Works both ways too. Think: Yankees.

Good point, if the Yankees had been down 10-0 going into the 9th inning, they would have been smiling and saying to each other "hey, we're still in this!"

Joe Torre is probably the greatest baseball manager of all time. As much as I get tired of seeing the Yankees win year after year, I can't help but admire a guy who is such a consistent winner. It takes a great manager to manage great players. I have never seen a fish-eyed nervous or irritated facial expression on that man's face.

Go Reds and Indians! Someday there will be an all-Ohio series. (Yeah, right)

• troucul
    troucul

All I know is that this World Series will be the least watched, ever. Who cares?

I'm sick of the stankees

• logansrun
    logansrun
    All I know is that this World Series will be the least watched, ever. Who cares?

And just think, it could have been the most watched World Series ever if not for a foul ball here, a hit there, an error here....

B.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Resurrecting an old thread - ESPN's 30/30 last night aired "Catching Hell" dealing with the Cubs' loss to the Marlins in 2003 and the infamous Bartman incident. The program also dealt in large measure with the 1986 Red Sox loss vs the Mets in the World Series and the infamous Bill Buckner play.

This program revealed a very dark side of sports - fans who have no perspective. Fans who are willing to go as far as calling for the lynching of a person because they do not understand the concept of what a game is. It's just that - a game, not life and death.

A close look at the Red Sox loss shows that they had already blown their two-run, 9th inning, 2-out lead before the Buckner play. And the Cubs were in fine shape even after the Bartman incident - until they unraveled, due mainly to Alex Gonzales's boot of a sure double-play ball that should have ended the inning.

Since this thread started, the Sox have won two World Series, but the Cubs haven't been close since.

• JRK
    JRK

rocketman,

What should us Cub fans want, a championship every 103 years or so? I have faith it will happen in my lifetime, just not this year.

JK

• rocketman
    rocketman

JRK, allow me to quote the Matthew 24:34: "This generation will be no means pass away [until the Cubs win another World Series]."

Of course, since the Cubs have not won one since 1908, we must understand this "generation" as overlapping.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit