"Please consider contributing" -- is this for real?

by Nathan Natas 12 Replies latest forum tech-support

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I have started seeing requests for contributions at the bottom of the screen.

Why the change?

• OneEyedJoe
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Why the "IS THIS FOR REAL?" attitude? (Maybe it just "sounded" abrasive.)

I think you'll see from reading Simon's explanation that he didn't make the decision to start begging for dollars. However, I'd gladly chip in a few bucks if that's what it takes to maintain the availability of this site. I'm sure there is an expense to the operation of the site, and I hope Simon makes a sh!tload of money from the ads. But if it takes a little more "help from our friends", I'd gladly click that button (unlike the one on JW..Org). The highest suggested donation I've seen is ten bucks.

Doc

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think "is this for real" is meant in any other way than the other queries such as "is this legit?". It's good that people check if something seems new and possibly wrong.

Just to be clear, this is *not* asking for donations, it's just me taking part in a beta test of a possible new Google product. They want to test responses to variations from the looks of things and can only do that on real-sites so need the site owners to opt-in to the experiments. I get nothing for it other than hopefully brownie points.

It doesn't mean it would be rolled out for real although I would like to provide people with a way to turn ads off without the bogus approaches (everyone knows adblock is a bit of a scam, right? they allow certain sites / advertisers to pay to be on a whitelist and also sell your browsing details).

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Desirous of Change said, "...(Maybe it just "sounded" abrasive.)"

DUH, ya think?

Whatever "tone" you chose to attribute to any poster here is a reflection of YOUR internal mental state, not theirs.

In other words, YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT, so "STFU" is advice you ought to take to heart.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sorry to get you panties in a twist.

My humble apologies.

I was trained for over 50 years to be a judgemental asshole, but I'm trying to "put on the new personality".

Doc

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

No worries, Nathan likes his panties in a twist he enjoys the sensation.

He is, in turns, our resident curmudgeon, and no nonsense truth teller.

• prologos
    prologos

if it would be the real thing, many faders could not contribute, because it would show up on their joint account statements, and the auditor would have a way to nail the place where your heart is.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That and we're stingy too.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am stingy, half-scot who will always look for the cheapest way to do anything. However, if this site needed additional support I would happily donate. It provided a valuable resource for both my wife and I when we needed it most, I will always be grateful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit