Would you still be angry with Lloyd Evans ?

by BettyHumpter 28 Replies latest jw friends

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

"The initial question is farcical. State oversight of prostitution or not, he still cheated on his wife and bragged about it compounding the stupidity."

I realize that some people are angry at Lloyd Evans' beard. And others are repulsed by the dent in his wall. And many more would have been angry at his unfaithfulness to his wife. But I thought the overwhelming outrage was due to him making use of people with a good chance of being exploited while claiming to be an advocate against CSA.

• ForeverAlone
    ForeverAlone

LMsA said it all why people are angry.

• He used Patreon funds for this. He even admitted before all this happened that he was almost entirely supported by these donations, so no matter how he may spin it, the 4 or 5 books he sells a month is not covering a 2 month trip to Thailand.
    • he has crowdfunded hundreds of thousands of dollars from exiting cult members over the last decade to fund his lifestyle and created his own cult.
    • he has weaponised people to go after those he does not like and this continues today
    • he has taken his family on holidays round the world all paid for by xjws and has disguised it as “activism”.
    • he attacks CSA survivors for relating their concerns about his activities in Thailand
    • he has consistently lied and gaslit people who didn’t agree with him
    • he has sabotaged other activists he didn’t like
    • he pirated COC and then blamed it on everyone else and Paul Grundy
    • he has consistently treated his wife like trash and betrayed her dating back to 2009 and continues to blame it on “sexual repression”
    • he humiliated her on his livestream saying she didn’t sexually satisfy him
    • he continues to attack and troll people who have called him out.
    • he has sent out 12 letters demanding money from other exJWs for telling the truth about him
    • he is currently “criminally” suing 7 exJWs in a Croatian court
    • he has threatened to come after Kim Silvio for the next 40 years, even flying to Australia to legally harass her

People that are saying stuff about his beard and dents in the wall are just nitpicking IMHO. What is quoted above is why people are angry, and rightfully so.

Nitpicking definition: looking for small or unimportant errors or faults, especially in order to criticize unnecessarily.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

He would still be an elder if the things he did in Britain were not so damaging, sexting minors, having at least one sexual encounter with a minor in Wales while an elder.3 elders lost their position because of him in Bramhall, i can only assume they wanted to take that to the police but the Bethel wouldnt let them. I personally believe he resents the fact that he had to escape to Croatia's countryside a far cry from posh Wilmslow.His "activism " was just a way to divert attention from his crimes and that's what incense me the most that we allowed this scum to be the voice of the community for so long.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

To quote Hyman Roth: "He's small potatoes."

It's ironic how JWs always found little BS things to make into BIG stories like it really mattered and ex-JWs continue the tradition. Neither group has any real bearing on the World Scene today. It only matters to us because we were/are members in one or probably both of those "clubs".

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There are over 20 million JW adherents worldwide. That puts them in a similar range as the number of Jews worldwide. I don’t agree with the idea that JWs are totally insignificant in terms of numbers or cultural impact. Most people have heard of JWs and know at least a little bit about them. Most people have a friend, relative, colleague or acquaintance who is a JW at one time or another. JWs are fairly evenly spread compared with other religious groups, and in many countries most people have a KH in their local community. They have impacted the laws and rights granted in many countries too. They are far more widespread than Scientologists and Mormons. They have a similar spread as Seventh-day Adventists but are more distinctive and probably better known because of their preaching and distinctive beliefs and practices.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Slim I agree JWs have had a disproportionate cultural impact, given their numbers.

I put that down to a couple of things. It's an American, English speaking religion, which helps the spread of information. That info is ubiquitous and free of charge, with a very recognisable artistic presentation and engaging concepts story wise - Armageddon, paradise etc etc*

Also witnesses themselves impart their culture to the wider world. Because of the way witness kids are raised - with an abundance of boredom - they learn the ability to entertain themselves. The few outlets they have, for example music (ie learning the piano), they attack with gusto & real appreciation. Witness kids are forced to be responsible and disciplined - thus there are a more than average number who excel in the arts, music, business and to a lesser degree sports etc

*And preaching, of course. Most people have a neighbour or friend they've met through the work.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

The organization has also been very aggressive in having their work translated into as many languages as possible for a long time. Which means that people in a lot of countries all around the world are acquainted with 'the people who knock on doors and talk about Jehovah.' I think they have had members in more than 200 countries and territories around the world. For a religion that has only had its name for less than 100 years, that's pretty impressive.

Too bad they've wasted that outreach on a message of "everyone around you is going to be killed by God very soon. Be one of the very few survivors!"

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think that late night comedians and talk show hosts give JWs more recognition than they will ever generate on their own. Even their abuse issues get nothing like the Catholic Church did as front page news. That's why the GB can keep declaring it's all lies -- it isn't newsworthy enough to create any serious amount of attention in the public eye.

JW's are 1/10th of 1 percent of the global population. Of course, everyone else is going to be destroyed.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You could argue that comedians can make reference to JWs because they are generally well known. It’s my experience that most people in the general population will have come across JWs at some point in their lives, through family, school, work, neighbourhood or elsewhere.

JWs get over 20 million at the memorial each year. Compare that with groups considered world religions:

26 million Sikhs

15 million Jews

5 million Baha’is

4 million Jains

4 million Shinto adherents

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit