Do they still give the higer rank elders at Bethel Luxury Cars?

by Dan76 28 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Dan76
    Dan76

I grew up in NYC. My Book Study conductor was one of the more senior elders in his department. I used to remember that Bethel always gave him (or at least loaned him for ministerial use) a real nice, tricked out, brand new Lexus. Every several years. He used to have a speaker phone (in the late 80's, no less) in the car. They still doing that?

I remember feeling that wasn't right. My family never had a nice car. Never a new one. Never had a car that warmed your buttocks on cold days with a press of a button. If Bethelite elders get cars, shouldn't they be getting stuff for them at the Sheriff's auction? If brand new, shouldn't they be driving Honda hatch-backs? This is something that has ALWAYS bothered me that I kept to myself.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Ahhh yes... the WTS knows how to play the IRS Corporation game like no one else!

The elder takes a vow of poverty... the WTS is a Non-Profit (Non-Prophet) organization making it tax exempt. They put the car title under the name of the corporation and then "lend" it out to the Bethel-Heavies. Walla... mega tax write-off.

• izobcenec
    izobcenec

There is a firm, that sells luxury cars to JW circuit overseers

http://www.circuitleasing.com/

More about that connection:

http://www.jesus-witnesses.com/bigbiz.htm

• benext
    benext

Lexus didn't start selling cars in the U.S. until 1989. The Society has always favored U.S. models which they could lease. Some cars are made available to transport certain brothers around. All senior members I knew who had cars owned them.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I don't know about cars "lent" to Bethelites, but I can say that the cars that CO's drive are nicer than those that many bros and sis's, including me, could afford. They'd get a brand-new Buick or Pontiac or other GM make, and the higher up models in the line.

I used to think, 'well, they do a lot of traveling', but then I also noticed that for field service, they'd hardly use their own cars but instead would get carted around by the bros and sis's. And many people do a lot of traveling, but that doesn't entitle them to a nice car - they have to work to earn it.

• leddfootdja
    leddfootdja

In our area, they gave the CO's Pontiac Bonnevilles until the early 90's whenl they decided that they were "too sporty" and "inappropriate".

Then it changed to Oldsmobile Eighty Eight.

Whatever......

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Personally, I strongly doubt that Circuit Leasing has any connection to the WTS. The COs' cars are leased. That means that the WTS does not own them after the lease period expires; they are owned by the leasing company.

The page from Jesus Witnesses contains no evidence whatsoever that the corporation is owned by or affiliated with the WTS. Perhaps it is, but I see no reason to make that conclusion unless someone presents evidence.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I spoke with Circuit Leasing personally, and they were very rude when I asked about their connection to the JW's. I simply asked about their connection, and was asked why? I think they have had a lot of people calling and giving them grief over it. Anyways, I was treated terrible. Not good for a prospective buyer, let alone they gave a terrible example of a "witness."

Somehow, they are definately connected.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I think the car arrangement does work out well for all parties concerned. When I was young, I remember my father (elder) often complained about the CO's car(s) and that they always seemed to need repairs when he visited. Although there was susposedly a "fund" to maintain the car in the circuit, it always seemed more "loving" for the brothers to just chip in and fix it for him.

Now, each congregation pays its part of the lease and insurance and that's it. Repairs are covered under the warranty. Every three years or so it gets traded in for a new one.

Second, without doubt, the Society gets something for sending all of the business throug that leasing company. The leasing company would at the very least provide leased vehicles to the Society at drastically reduced rates.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the corporations of the Society owns the leasing company. From a business standpoint, it might make sense.

***** Rub a Dub

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, Rub-A-Dub, the WTS has suspended the arrangement that assessed a set amount for each ongregation as to providing cars and insurance for the COs and DOs. I guess the government was looking at that as income for the CO...whatever it was ceased.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit