JW changes over time

by larc 70 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

Well, I'm 27, got baptized in '92 and let me tell 'ya.....

he-he,

Bradley

• Room 215
    Room 215

Ahh Farkel, the smell of those books! Kind of medicinal, wouldn't you say? I gave my first public talk before my 19th birthday-- unthinkable today-- and well remember the travails of dealing with the Draft. I was pioneering at the time, and I was called before the local Draft Board to defend my pacificistic views (although JWs bristled whenever they were referred to as ``pacifists") unaided by anything more than a Bible and my wits, against a barrage of questions. They even went so far as to send out the FBI to interview many of the girls I dated, their parents, and my bosses in the few little jobs I had held.

Those were the days....

• minimus
    minimus

It's almost as if you guys are yearning for the good old days! ......Personally, I think the elder arrangement hurt the organization more than they'll ever admit.

• logansrun
    logansrun
    Personally, I think the elder arrangement hurt the organization more than they'll ever admit.

I hate to say it (but why?) that the greatest apostate of them all, Ray Franz, was partially responsible for that. Ouch.

Bradley

• Room 215
    Room 215

Minimus, I couldn't agree more; they've really regressed since the elders were brought in. Today, their strong suit is construction and property acquisition; spritually, they're bankrupt, bereft of fresh insights and reducing to recycled whatever's left over from Fred Franz and maybe Karl Klein. On teh sorportate level, the embarassing cheesiness of their books betray their real priorities.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Larc,

If you left 40 years ago, you wouldn't recognize it as being the same religion you left.

With the recent division of the corporation, I expect even more changes in the near future. This religion, like many other things in life, is ever evolving!

• larc
    larc

Dan The Man, You are right. Sports and school activities were allowed back then. In grade school I went to the YMCA for several years. In high school, I played baseball and was a member of the HiY club, in fact, I was the chaplain, voted in because I could give a prayer. Others found it uncomfortable to do so. Back then they were called Congregation Servants. They were to serve the congregation. The newer term Overseer sounds like a factory surpervisor title. Back then, a piano was played at the Hall and the songs were better than today. At conventions we had orchestras of good quality. Those with musical talent had some outlet.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    You are right. Sports and school activities were allowed back then

I had lots of friends in the congregation who were on teams at either my high school or another in the area. One of my JW girlfriends was Student Body President, a guy was on the Cheer squad and was on the track team. I was my class Historian and always was involved in Student Government. What is the big deal against that anyway? I still became a militant JW, and the others I mentioned are very prominent elders now. The woman married one.

When I was a little kid, I took gymnastics at a church gym for several years until I was too tall for competitive gymnastics. No one thought anything of it. So, it was a church. So what?

It was better back then. I think if it had stayed the way it was, it would have been an okay religion to be part of. It evolved into a controlling cult for sure.

• larc
    larc

Mulan, I hope the "younger ones" are understanding this. In our day, as long as you attended the meetings on a regular basis and met your monthly quota, what else you did was pretty much your business. Hard for the "younger ones" to believe, I am sure.

• larc
    larc

I went back and reread the comments, and I have some comments on the comments. JayHawk, I sure would like to bring back my mother's three aunts who became Bible Students in the 1920's, especially the one who likely was Rutherford's mistress. Room 215, You captured many good ideas. I especially liked your term, the "old warriors" versus the modern day duplicity. You also pointed out the average Witness back in those days could defend their faith far better than they can today. I agree. You also commented on the Kingdom Halls back in those days. They either rented a room or had a very modest building. Now, the Kingdom Halls are plush beyond belief. Shame on them. They are getting too materialistic. On the subject of public talks. Yes, they were designed for the public and for Bible studies. We handed out pamphlets encouraging the public to show up. Longunsrun: I agree with you that Ray Franz made a mistake regarding the commitee argangment. He should have left that alone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit