Baptized at 5.

by Lainey 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I'm sure I could have answered the questions when I was 5. I was a very good reader before that age. Some young kids are quick learners. I can even believe the society would allow a 5 year old to be baptised. I saw one dunked at age 8. Why not 5?

So if they can be baptised at 5 can they then be DFed at 5?

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I don't doubt that this happened, and I have a couple of theories why:

(1) The "last days". When I was a JW, I saw doctrine adjusted (i.e. "new light") to change the qualifications of the "anointed" to those who were able to comprehend the arrival of Christ's kingdom in 1914. As far as I know, the JWs (for the time being, anyway) still adhere to the belief that Armageddon will occur before the last of these "anointed" ones passes away. By continually reducing the age for baptism, they in effect allow for more elderly individuals to claim their "anointedness", through an unspoken statement that comprehension of these events could be understood as young as age five. When I was a JW in the 1970s, it was understood that children did not need to be baptized, because they would be under the "protective umbrella" of their faithful parent(s) at Armageddon. Apparently, this is no longer the case.

(2) Numbers. The WTBTS continues to make assertions that their numbers continue to rise worldwide, when, in fact, in most western countries, the numbers are flat or, in some cases, declining. The easiest way to bolster these figures would be to add to the ranks of the baptized by allowing young children baptism, even though they are unaware of the ramifications this will have on them later in life. The poor kids are, I'm sure, doing it to please Mommy and Daddy, not Jehovah.

• core
    core

Nearly threw up when I read the anecdote re this child prodigy - what the h*** are her parents thinking off! Sickmaking in the extreme - as noted by others what a sad and socialy inept person this child will likely become - what toys does she have - the WT CDROM ?

Doubtless she revolts most who hear her story at the circuit assemblies etc as she will be paraded around like some pod-idol.

My advice to her parents - burn the books and buy her a Barbie (&KEN)

• detective
    detective
    They stressed setting goals and told her what they would like to see her do one day.

We gave her the instructions on how to please us.

She is now 6 and looks forward to the Memorial where last year
    she brought 5 persons.

Sadly, all but two of them where invisible friends she met at an imaginary tea party.

She has 5 Bible studies, three are with young ones, two are with
    adults.

We had to ask the adults to refrain from spanking their bible tutor.

She says she wants to be a missionary one day and would love to
    go to Angola...her mother says she can tell you all about the
    statistics there from the Yearbook...

She also noted she would someday like to be a panda doctor, a teacher and a firefighter while living on the moon. But that's not important.

She still does her own personal study for all the meetings.

Sometimes we let her drive us to the meetings. She is a precocious child after all!

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    She has 5 Bible studies, three are with young ones, two are with adults.

Are the parents of the three "young ones" already JWs? In this case, they should not count as Bible studies. Besides, shouldn't the job of educating children be left up to the parents?

If the "young ones" are not from JW families, do the parents know about these studies? What if the child of non-believing parents asks to go to the Kingdom Hall and the parent forbids it? Will the WTBTS legal department step in and claim a violation of the child's right to practice religion without interference?

And what about the adults? What adult in their right mind would allow a FIVE YEAR OLD to teach them about the Bible? Either they're allowing it because they think it's "cute", or they are pedophiles studying to become a part of "pedophile paradise", to coin a phrase.

Her mother says that she has very little association with children, except those who are out in the ministry with their parents...all of her life she has been around adults who speak about the truth and walk the walk.
    Ask any child psychologist -- this poor child is headed for a plethora of emotional disturbances if she continues to have "very little association" with her peers.
  • blondie
    blondie
    When I was a JW in the 1970s, it was understood that children did not need to be baptized, because they would be under the "protective umbrella" of their faithful parent(s) at Armageddon. Apparently, this is no longer the case.

SFJim, this is still the case, it is just that the WTS can't decide what the "age of accountability" is, the age at which a child is considered old enough to be responsible before God for their actions. Knowing how JWs need an exact number to be secure, parents push their children to get baptized early. After all the example of Samuel is pushed at them (even in a "kingdom" song) and he was 3 when he left his family to serve at the temple.

221 Youths! Imitate Their Faith ***

The high priest called Eli had sons that were bad.

Would they corrupt Samuel, who was just a lad?

Blondie

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Nothing surprises me anymore.

wannaexit

• berylblue
    berylblue
    I would love to talk to this girl 20 years from now

We won't be here 20 years from now...the great day of Jehovah God the Almighty at Armegeddon is coming soon

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Yup, thats sad !!!

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I just can't believe it (sad/dammageable or not true)

the WTBS are used to build such stories (like : the dog with Jehovah's name)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit