When or how is a non-JW spouse considered a "Spiritual Endangerment"?

by marriedtodamob 21 Replies latest social relationships

• marriedtodamob
    marriedtodamob

Please educate me my dear friends, and hold nothing back please-I would rather be prepared than caught off guard.

Thanks,

Mobbie

• minimus
    minimus

It's usually in a VERY extreme situation that someone is considered a spiritual danger to another. If the "offender" is tying the poor Witness to a chair and literally restrains a person from going to meetings, then they could be so designated. But MOST elders would not think that a spouse merely giving their mate a hard time for the "truth" would put you into this category.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I don't have the official definition that they printed.

Note: I use "you" in the following post in a generic sense... I don't know your personal circumstances, mobbie.

However, you're likely considered a spiritual "endangerement", and thus it'd be okay for your mate to separate from you -- when the elders don't like you & thus advise your spouse that it'd be okay.

The rules probably vary from congregation to congregation. But if you're on the "bad side" of any of the elders in your spouse's hall, then you're probably toast.

I think the term the Watchtower used was "absolute spiritual endangerment". If you can emphasize that the Watchtower said "absolute", it may be a point in your favor. That is, if you really don't want the elders and the congregation coming in and trying to break up your marriage, then you could show that you're not trying to prevent your spouse from exercise of his/her freedom of religion, and you also want the same reasonable consideration.

Mere non-participation in the spouse's JW activities, or pursual of your own non-JW activities, could not reasonably be viewed as "absolute spiritual endangerment".

Unless you come across an unreasonable elder (or circuit overseer) who has some agenda.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I have more than a little experience with this doctrine. I think it's a huge point of importance with the endangerment subject that two conditions be present before the elders make this determination.

1. The Witness person needs to be a Witness of the compliant type.

2. The Witness person needs to want the endangerment ruling and the separation or the divorce that almost always follows. The reason I say this is the Witness is usually the only person to make the report. Once the charges are made by the elders and the Witness is informed by the elders, the Witness is obligated to follow the elder's instructions or risk being marked themselves.

It's a set up and it works well.

• Poztate
    Poztate

I believe that the minute a good JW goes to the elders and lays a charge of "spiritual endangerment" the fix is in.The elders can read between the lines and recognize the "good dub" is looking for a separation or divorce.It is far easier to go with the flow than to investigate the matter.After all the non JW will soon be "bird food"while the good JW is contributing to the cash flow spiritual well being of the congregation.

• marriedtodamob
    marriedtodamob

Thank you to everyone who answered-I really appreciate the info!

Mobbie

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

Mobbie, I know you know my story, but for the sake of the thread I'll answer your question:

When or how is a non-JW spouse considered a "Spiritual Endangerment"?

1) Whenever the elders freaking feel like it.

2) Whenever the JW spouse is entrenched in the "good old boy network" at the hall

3) And especially if the "unbeliever" has a big mouth.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I found this on the CD Rom

w88 11/1 pp. 22-23 When Marital Peace Is Threatened ***Absolute endangerment of spirituality also provides a basis for separation. The believer in a religiously divided home should do everything possible to take advantage of God?s spiritual provisions. But separation is allowable if an unbelieving mate?s opposition (perhaps including physical restraint) makes it genuinely impossible to pursue true worship and actually imperils the believer?s spirituality. Yet, what if a very unhealthy spiritual state exists where both mates are believers? The elders should render assistance, but especially should the baptized husband work diligently to remedy the situation. Of course, if a baptized marriage partner acts like an apostate and tries to prevent his mate from serving Jehovah, the elders should handle matters according to the Scriptures. If disfellowshipping takes place in a case involving absolute endangerment of spirituality, willful nonsupport, or extreme physical abuse, the faithful Christian who seeks a legal separation would not be going against Paul?s counsel about taking a believer to court.?1 Corinthians 6:1-8.

If circumstances are extreme, then, separation may be warranted. But flimsy pretexts obviously should not be used to obtain a separation. Any Christians who do separate must bear personal responsibility for that action and should realize that all of us will render an account to Jehovah.?Hebrews 4:13.

Certainly in my day when I served on a body of elders, The points in the second paragraph would have been paramount, but Worldygirl is right to say that it is up to interpretation by elders . She has my sympathy

• simplesally
    simplesally

If the person even hints that the non JW is practicing elements of spiritism or has friends that are in the pagan or spiritistic religions, the elders will hop right on that wagon. Happened to a sister in Northern California --- best friend of one of the elders wives and the elders hurried up and helped her move.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I think that the main reason they list "spiritual endangerment" as a groud for marital separation is so that, when one mate becomes an "apostate," the faithful mate will have an acceptable way within the congregation to dump the apostate mate. That way, the Watchtower only loses one of them, not both or the whole family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit