How were God’s true worshipers to determine virginity of pagan girls?

by Ireneus 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    I can't believe someone dared to explain this portion!

WOW wasn't that explanation the biggest pile of horse crap you ever saw.

Wonder what a woman would choose by the way?
    Be killed by a sword, or shave her head?

• Half banana
    Half banana

At the time of writing Numbers, the Jews, just like most of their neighbours were Iron Age peasants living a simple desert life using social values which favoured patriarchy. The archaeology of Israel seems to indicate that their material culture was rather behind the times in its primitiveness.

The fact that these objectionable regulations were projected on to their Idol Yahweh just shows how the prevailing human mores were used to describe their totemic god. If a compassionate and all powerful intelligent god truly existed, surely he would have enlightened them with more compassionate and intelligent ideas? But no, the Bible only reflects the contemporary base human values of perpetual warfare and territorial gain, men first and girls as commodities, slaughter all those who don't believe in your god. The Bible is uninspired.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Fading albatross:
    to attend to her nails, perhaps ‘paring her nails close’ so that even if they were
    colored, her hands would not look attractive

Huh. Paring down the nails had nothing to do with attractiveness and likely everything to do with rendering the woman helpless. Nails are often the only real weapon a woman has

• TD
    TD

Horrific isn't it?

Utterly...

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

An Israelite man could marry such a

woman, but only if she took certain measures.

So he could have sex with her but not have to marry her if she didn't take certain measures..........

Concerning the steps such a woman was required to take, the Bible states: “She

must now shave her head and attend to her nails, and remove the mantle of

her captivity from off her and dwell in your house and weep for her father and

her mother a whole lunar month; and after that you should have relations with

her, and you must take possession of her as your bride, and she must become

your wife.”—Deuteronomy 21:12, 13.

And yes, for sure he waited a month before having sex with her.

Just another WT excuse like the one they have for rapists. Women are supposed to remember that the rapists have feelings too

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    daysoffuturepassed: weep for her father and
    her mother a whole lunar month; and after that you should have relations with
    her, and you must take possession of her as your bride, and she must become
    your wife.”—Deuteronomy 21:12, 13.
    And yes, for sure he waited a month before having sex with her.

Huh.

The reason that she was required to "mourn" for a lunar month was probably simple. That was to ensure that she wasn't pregnant and that any child she had later would belong to her rapist

I suspect that "virgin" in this context was simply a young woman who hadn't had a child - fertile and ready to become the one to birth babies for the tribe

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Answer = the ancient Hebrews performed an on-site hymen check , they were biologically wise back then.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

FInkelstein - they used their dicks to make the check right?

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

Why did two people dislike TheFadingAlbatros's comment? He wasn't condoning what the Bible said. In fact, he specifically started his post with "Here is the answer of so-called Christians," which proves that he disagreed with the Bible on this subject.

• TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros

In fact I was merely quoting an article from the Watchtower (w04 9/15 p. 28 – Questions From Readers). Of course I am shocked by such a depreciation of women and by the fact that most of JWs now are accepting what happened in Moses time as something normal and necessary. Luckily I have dissociated myself from the famous US cult a few years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit