For a change, happy JW memories anyone?

by ScoobySnax 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

All of my memories contain a "cramped" feeling... like I was not really supposed to be there.

• minimus
    minimus

I met a lot of genuinely nice people over the years. I've seen many change from nasty to nice. We've had many good times on vacations together and we learned how to be kind in our dealing with imperfections. We were given a set of good morals. .....That's all I can think of.

• rocketman
    rocketman
    I once was out in service with this elder and he bought me a donut.

LOL Bradley!

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Thanx Minimus. I met so many good people too from years back when I was active, at the last memorial they were still there. Not blind people as is often posted here, but good kind intelligent people. I sure do miss them sometimes.

• Aztec
    Aztec

I actually have more good memories than bad. I grew up in Northern Michigan where there are tons of lakes. All during the summer we would have congregation get togethers at various members homes on lakes and go swimming and have potluck picnics. In the winter we'd get together and go sledding and tobagganing. There were enough of us young girls that slumber parties were plentiful. Fortunatly some of us went to the same school so we always had someone to play with at recess.

I really loved assemblies when I was a kid. Because I came from such a small town it was a chance to go to a big city and stay in a hotel or visit my grandmother whom I only saw a few times a year. I didn't actually enjoy the assemblies themselves but we usually got to go out to eat afterwards, a rarity for my not so well off family.

I guess those are more happy childhood memories but I was a JW at the time.

~Aztec

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Scoob... thanks for starting this one. I really enjoyed it. Growing up in the organization, being a JW was my whole childhood. I take great comfort in knowing that others feel the way I do. No matter how much our new friends try, they just can't understand what it was like. It truely is one of those "you had to be there" topics. Yes, I do have many memories that totally tear my heart out, daily. It's nice to get to remember something good. Which I knew I would get to do by reading the title of the thread... Had it said, "Crappy/Worst JW memories" which I don't want to unleash, I wouldn't have come in and posted. But hey, that's just me.

The yearly DCs were our "family vacation" each year. We always looked forward to the DCs, mostly to get out of town for a few days. One year, we took our camping trailer and stayed at a local campground. We met up with some JWs that were doing the same. We'd all get together every night after the DC and play games or swim or grill on the barbecue pits. I was 12; life was simple and GREAT! It's the last trip I can remember all of my family together and happy at the same time. Future DCs took away my brothers little by little (i.e. volunteering, staying in thier own hotel rooms, chasing girls).

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Good for You CountryGuy!!

I remember the good times too.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

This is an excellent post Scooby Snax. The reason I stopped studying is because I think the dubs are too black and white. Conversely, we don't have to have the same mentality they exude; we don't have to think they are all bad.

I only studied for about two years, and I did meet some cool people.

• reboot
    reboot

The one that has always stuck in my mind was at a convention; i'd struggled to get there for the 3 days with 3 small children, one still breast feeding; on my own, while suffering from post natal depression.

Had a puncture on the way down.

It was raining-

I got lost travelling to the convention ground.( for those of you who know me thats not hard for me to do. )

Parked, and was greeted sullenly and told to move the car.. by a jumped up little car park dictator...

So had to move from near the entrance to far away-and walk in the pouring rain into the ground.

finally found a seat after dragging the children around and around, soaking wet, being told I could'nt sit in empty seats that were saved for others...finally sat down, recognised some people from my congregation...who proceeded to tell me off for not taking advantage of the spiritual feast by arriving late...aaaggghhhhh

So I picked up the children and ran back to my car and sobbed in private.

A then a lovely woman knocked on the window and spoke to me so kindly .She'd followed me out and asked if she could help and said that she was proud of me just for being there-even if I was in a car and I was missing it all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit