New NWT, then and now - a comparison of the 2013 NWT, 2013 vs 2017.

by MeanMrMustard 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Four years ago we did a comparison project for the NWT, 1984 edition with the New NWT, 2013 edition. The link to that is here:

1984 vs 2013

That blossomed into a comparison project regarding the WT library CD from one year to the next. That link is here:

WT Library Comparison, 2011 vs 2012

Now, slimfatboy has made a good suggestion. He suggested that a comparison be done on the 2013 edition of the NWT from how it was in 2013 to how it is now in 2017. What have they changed? This is an excellent suggestion because unlike the 1984 vs 2013 project, which resulted in an overwhelming list of changes, a comparison of the 2013 edition in different years should yield relatively few changes. Also, we are in a good position to do this because of the original comparison project - namely I had to create a NWT database back in 2013 when the original comparison was first performed. So we have the text of the 2013 edition as it was on the WT site 4 years ago!

RESULTS:

At first I ran across around 8200 differences. Upon closer inspection, I found that a large majority of these were meaningless changes. For some reason the WT decides, every now and then to change single Unicode characters. For example, they switched out the character here: https://unicode-table.com/en/search/?q=8242, with this character here: https://unicode-table.com/en/search/?q=697. They are different byte values but render the same way. I am not really sure how this occurs, but it was an issue with the WT library compare project as well - they just decide to change the Unicode value for characters. Possibly they decide to change a font? I am not sure.

After filtering this out, I see 57 changes to note. They are reproduced below. Discuss. Enjoy!

1 Chronicles 2:49
    Old Text:New Text:
    In time she bore Sha′aph the father of Mad·man′nah, She′va the father of Mach·be′nah, and Gib′e·a. Ca′leb’s daughter was Ach′sah.In time she bore Shaʹaph the father of Mad·manʹnah and Sheʹva the father of Mach·beʹnah and Gibʹe·a. Caʹleb’s daughter was Achʹsah.

1 Kings 7:29
    And on the side panels between the crossbars were lions, bulls, and cherubs, and the same design was above the crossbars. Above and beneath the lions and the bulls were wreaths in relief.And on the side panels between the crossbars were lions, bulls, and cherubs, and the same design was on the crossbars. Above and beneath the lions and the bulls were wreaths in relief.

1 Samuel 3:18
    So Samuel told him everything, and he did not hide anything from him. Eli said: “It is Jehovah. Let him do what is good in his eyes.”So Samuel told him everything, and he did not hide anything from him. Eʹli said: “It is Jehovah. Let him do what is good in his eyes.”

1 Samuel 6:9
    and watch: If it goes up the road to Beth-she′mesh, to its own territory, then it is the one who has done this great evil to us. But if not, we will know that it was not his hand that struck us; it happened to us by coincidence.”and watch: If it goes up the road to Beth-sheʹmesh, to its own territory, then he is the one who has done this great evil to us. But if not, we will know that it was not his hand that struck us; it happened to us by coincidence.”

2 Chronicles 31:12
    They kept faithfully bringing in the contributions, tenth parts, and the holy things; Con·a·ni′ah the Levite was put in charge of all of this as supervisor, and his brother Shim′e·i was second.They kept faithfully bringing in the contributions, the tenth parts, and the holy things; Con·a·niʹah the Levite was put in charge of all of this as supervisor, and his brother Shimʹe·i was second.

2 Kings 15:29
    In the days of King Pe′kah of Israel, King Tig′lath-pil·e′ser of As·syr′i·a invaded and captured I′jon, A′bel-beth-ma′a·cah, Ja·no′ah, Ke′desh, Ha′zor, Gil′e·ad, and Gal′i·lee—all the land of Naph′ta·li—and he took the inhabitants into exile in As·syr′i·a.In the days of King Peʹkah of Israel, King Tigʹlath-pil·eʹser of As·syrʹi·a invaded and captured Iʹjon, Aʹbel-beth-maʹa·cah, Ja·noʹah, Keʹdesh, Haʹzor, Gilʹe·ad, and Galʹi·lee, all the land of Naphʹta·li, and he took the inhabitants into exile in As·syrʹi·a.

2 Samuel 13:28
    Then Ab′sa·lom ordered his attendants: “Watch, and when Am′non’s heart is in a cheerful mood from the wine, I will say to you, ‘Strike down Am′non!’ You must then put him to death. Do not be afraid. Is it not I who commands you? Be strong and courageous.”Then Abʹsa·lom ordered his attendants: “Watch, and when Amʹnon’s heart is in a cheerful mood from the wine, I will say to you, ‘Strike down Amʹnon!’ You must then put him to death. Do not be afraid. Is it not I who command you? Be strong and courageous.”

2 Samuel 20:15
    Joab and his men came and besieged him in Abel of Beth-ma′a·cah and raised up a siege rampart against the city, as it was standing within a rampart. And all the men with Jo′ab were undermining the wall to knock it down.Joʹab and his men came and besieged him in Abel of Beth-maʹa·cah and raised up a siege rampart against the city, as it was standing within a rampart. And all the men with Joʹab were undermining the wall to knock it down.

Acts 2:9
    Par′thi·ans, Medes, and E′lam·ites; the inhabitants of Mes·o·po·ta′mi·a, Ju·de′a and Cap·pa·do′ci·a, Pon′tus and the province of Asia,Parʹthi·ans, Medes, and Eʹlam·ites, the inhabitants of Mes·o·po·taʹmi·a, Ju·deʹa and Cap·pa·doʹci·a, Ponʹtus and the province of Asia,

Acts 2:10
    Phryg′i·a and Pam·phyl′i·a, Egypt and the regions of Lib′y·a near Cy·re′ne; sojourners from Rome, both Jews and proselytes;Phrygʹi·a and Pam·phylʹi·a, Egypt and the regions of Libʹy·a near Cy·reʹne, sojourners from Rome, both Jews and proselytes,

Acts 2:11
    Cre′tans; and Arabians—we hear them speaking in our languages about the magnificent things of God.”Creʹtans, and Arabians—we hear them speaking in our languages about the magnificent things of God.”

Amos 2:2
    So I will send a fire into Mo′ab, and it will consume the fortified towers of Ke′ri·oth; Mo′ab will die amid an uproar, With a war cry, with the sound of a horn.So I will send a fire into Moʹab, And it will consume the fortified towers of Keʹri·oth; Moʹab will die amid an uproar, With a war cry, with the sound of a horn.

Daniel 10:12
    He then said to me: “Do not be afraid, O Daniel, your words have been heard from the first day that you gave your heart to understanding and to humbling yourself before your God, and I have come because of your words.He then said to me: “Do not be afraid, O Daniel. Your words have been heard from the first day that you gave your heart to understanding and to humbling yourself before your God, and I have come because of your words.

Deuteronomy 1:39
    Moreover, your children whom you said would become plunder and your sons who today do not know good or bad, these will enter, and I will give it to them to possess.Moreover, your children who you said would become plunder and your sons who today do not know good or bad, these will enter, and I will give it to them to possess.

Deuteronomy 2:19
    When you come near to the Am′mon·ites, do not harass or provoke them, for I will not give you any of the land of the Am′monites as a possession, because I have given it to the descendants of Lot as their possession.When you come near to the Amʹmon·ites, do not harass or provoke them, for I will not give you any of the land of the Amʹmon·ites as a possession, because I have given it to the descendants of Lot as their possession.

Deuteronomy 2:21
    They were a great and numerous and tall people like the An′a·kim; but Jehovah annihilated them before the Am′monites, and these drove them out and settled in their place.They were a great and numerous and tall people like the Anʹa·kim; but Jehovah annihilated them before the Amʹmon·ites, and these drove them out and settled in their place.

Deuteronomy 19:17
    the two men who have the dispute will stand before Jehovah, the priests and the judges who will be serving in those days.the two men who have the dispute will stand before Jehovah, before the priests and the judges who will be serving in those days.

Esther 8:15
    Now Mor′de·cai left the king’s presence in royal apparel of blue and linen, wearing a great golden crown and a fine-fabric cloak of purple wool. And the city of Shu′shan shouted for joy.Now Morʹde·cai left the king’s presence in royal apparel of blue and white, wearing a great golden crown and a fine-fabric cloak of purple wool. And the city of Shuʹshan shouted for joy.

Exodus 13:11
    “When Jehovah brings you into the land of the Ca′naan·ites, which he has sworn to give to you and to your forefathers,“When Jehovah brings you into the land of the Caʹnaan·ites, which he has sworn to you and to your forefathers to give to you,

Exodus 24:6
    Then Moses took half of the blood and put it in bowls, and half the blood he sprinkled on the altar.Then Moses took half of the blood and put it in bowls, and half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar.

Exodus 39:20
    Then they made two more rings of gold and put them on the front of the eph′od, below the shoulder pieces and above the place where the woven belt joined the eph′od.Then they made two more rings of gold and put them on the front of the ephʹod, below the two shoulder pieces, close to where it is joined, above the woven belt of the ephʹod.

Ezekiel 8:15
    And he further said to me: “Do you see this, O son of man? You will see detestable things that are even more terrible that are worse than these.”And he further said to me: “Do you see this, O son of man? You will see detestable things that are even more terrible than these.”

Ezekiel 40:40
    On the way up to the north gate, there were two tables outside the entrance. There were also two tables inside, in the porch of the gate.On the way up to the north gate, there were two tables outside the entrance. There were also two tables on the other side of the porch of the gate.

Ezekiel 44:7
    When you bring foreigners who are uncircumcised in heart and flesh into my sanctuary, they profane my temple. You present my bread, fat, and blood, while my covenant is being broken because of all your detestable practices.When you bring foreigners who are uncircumcised in heart and flesh into my sanctuary, they profane my temple. You present my bread, fat and blood, while my covenant is being broken because of all your detestable practices.

Ezekiel 48:31
    The gates of the city will be named according to the tribes of Israel. Of the three gates on the north, there is one gate for Reu′ben, one gate for Judah, and one gate for Le′vi.“The gates of the city will be named according to the tribes of Israel. Of the three gates on the north, there is one gate for Reuʹben, one gate for Judah, and one gate for Leʹvi.

Ezekiel 48:32
    The eastern side will be 4,500 cubits long, and there are three gates: one gate for Joseph, one gate for Benjamin, and one gate for Dan.“The eastern side will be 4,500 cubits long, and there are three gates: one gate for Joseph, one gate for Benjamin, and one gate for Dan.

Ezekiel 48:33
    The southern side will measure 4,500 cubits, with three gates: one gate for Sim′e·on, one gate for Is′sa·char, and one gate for Zeb′u·lun.“The southern side will measure 4,500 cubits, with three gates: one gate for Simʹe·on, one gate for Isʹsa·char, and one gate for Zebʹu·lun.

Ezekiel 48:34
    The western side will be 4,500 cubits long, with three gates: one gate for Gad, one gate for Ash′er, and one gate for Naph′ta·li.“The western side will be 4,500 cubits long, with three gates: one gate for Gad, one gate for Ashʹer, and one gate for Naphʹta·li.

Genesis 45:18
    and take your father and your households and come here to me. I will give you the good things of the land of Egypt, and you will eat the richest part of the land.and take your father and your households and come here to me. I will give you the good things of the land of Egypt, and you will eat the richest part of the land.’

Genesis 45:19
    And you are commanded to tell them: “Do this: Take wagons from the land of Egypt for your children and your wives, and you must bring your father on one of them and come here.And you are commanded to tell them: ‘Do this: Take wagons from the land of Egypt for your children and your wives, and you must bring your father on one of them and come here.

Genesis 45:20
    Do not worry about your belongings, for the best of all the land of Egypt is yours.”’”Do not worry about your belongings, for the best of all the land of Egypt is yours.’”

Isaiah 41:19
    In the desert I will plant the cedar tree, The acacia and the myrtle and the oil tree. In the desert plain I will plant the juniper tree, Together with the ash and the cypress tree,In the desert I will plant the cedar tree, The acacia and the myrtle and the pine tree. In the desert plain I will plant the juniper tree, Together with the ash and the cypress tree,

Jeremiah 4:22
    For my people are foolish; They take no note of me. They are stupid sons, with no understanding. They are clever enough when it comes to doing bad, But they do not know how to do good.“For my people are foolish; They take no note of me. They are stupid sons, with no understanding. They are clever enough when it comes to doing bad, But they do not know how to do good.”

Jeremiah 35:11
    But when King Neb·u·chad·nez′zar of Babylon came up against the land, we said, ‘Come, let us go into Jerusalem to escape the army of the Chal·de′ans and of the Syrians, and now we are living in Jerusalem.’”But when King Neb·u·chad·nezʹzar of Babylon came up against the land, we said, ‘Come, let us go into Jerusalem to escape the army of the Chal·deʹans and of the Syrians,’ and now we are living in Jerusalem.”

John 10:35
    If he called “gods” those against whom the word of God came—and yet the scripture cannot be nullified—If he called ‘gods’ those against whom the word of God came—and yet the scripture cannot be nullified—

John 16:19
    Jesus knew they wanted to question him, so he said to them: “Are you asking one another this because I said: ‘In a little while you will not see me, and again, in a little while you will see me?’Jesus knew they wanted to question him, so he said to them: “Are you asking one another this because I said: ‘In a little while you will not see me, and again, in a little while you will see me’?

Judges 7:1
    Then Jer·ub·ba′al, that is, Gid′e·on, and all the people with him rose early and encamped at the well of Ha′rod, while the camp of Mid′i·an was north of him at the hill of Mo′reh in the valley plain.Then Jer·ub·baʹal, that is, Gidʹe·on, and all the people with him rose early and encamped at the Spring of Haʹrod, while the camp of Midʹi·an was north of him at the hill of Moʹreh in the valley plain.

Judges 21:11
    This is what you should do: Every male as well as every woman who has had sexual relations with a male, you should devote to destruction.”This is what you should do: Every male, as well as every woman who has had sexual relations with a male, you should devote to destruction.”

Luke 10:16
    “Whoever listens to you listens to me. And whoever disregards you disregards me also. Moreover, whoever disregards me disregards also him who sent me.”“Whoever listens to you listens to me. And whoever disregards you disregards me also. Moreover, whoever disregards me disregards also Him who sent me.”

Luke 22:7
    The first day of the Unleavened Bread now arrived, on which the Passover sacrifice must be offered;The day of the Unleavened Bread now arrived, on which the Passover sacrifice must be offered;

Malachi 4:6
    And he will turn the hearts of fathers back toward sons, and the hearts of sons back toward fathers; so that I may not come and strike the earth, devoting it to destruction.”And he will turn the hearts of fathers back toward sons, and the hearts of sons back toward fathers, so that I may not come and strike the earth, devoting it to destruction.”

Mark 5:41
    Then, taking the hand of the child, he said to her: “Tal′i·tha cu′mi,” which, when translated, means: “Little girl, I say to you, ‘Get up!’”Then, taking the hand of the child, he said to her: “Talʹi·tha cuʹmi,” which, when translated, means: “Little girl, I say to you, get up!”

Mark 13:35
    Keep on the watch, therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming, whether late in the day or at midnight or at dawn or early in the morning,Keep on the watch, therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming, whether late in the day or at midnight or before dawn or early in the morning,

Matthew 5:18
    Truly I say to you that sooner would heaven and earth pass away than for one stroke of a letter to pass away from the Law until all things take place.Truly I say to you that sooner would heaven and earth pass away than for one smallest letter or one stroke of a letter to pass away from the Law until all things take place.

Matthew 10:24
    “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master.“A student is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master.

Matthew 10:25
    It is enough for the disciple to become as his teacher, and the slave as his master. If people have called the master of the house Be·el′ze·bub, how much more those of his household?It is enough for the student to become as his teacher, and the slave as his master. If people have called the master of the house Be·elʹze·bub, how much more those of his household?

Nehemiah 8:15
    and that they should make proclamation and announce throughout all their cities and throughout Jerusalem, saying: “Go out to the mountainous region and bring in leafy branches from olive trees, oil trees, myrtle and palm trees, and the leafy branches of other trees to make booths, according to what is written.”and that they should make proclamation and announce throughout all their cities and throughout Jerusalem, saying: “Go out to the mountainous region and bring in leafy branches from olive trees, pine trees, myrtle and palm trees, and the leafy branches of other trees to make booths, according to what is written.”

Proverbs 1:24
    Because I called out, but you kept refusing, I stretched out my hand, but no one was paying attention.Because I called out, but you kept refusing, I stretched out my hand, but no one was paying attention,

Proverbs 1:25
    You kept neglecting all my advice And rejecting my reproof.You kept neglecting all my advice And rejecting my reproof,

Proverbs 17:17
    A true friend shows love at all times, And is a brother who is born for times of distress.A true friend shows love at all times And is a brother who is born for times of distress.

Psalms 17:3
    You have examined my heart, you have inspected me by night; You have refined me, You will find that I have not schemed anything bad, And my mouth has not transgressed.You have examined my heart, you have inspected me by night; You have refined me; You will find that I have not schemed anything bad, And my mouth has not transgressed.

Psalms 18:28
    For it is you who light my lamp, O Jehovah, My God lights up my darkness.For it is you who light my lamp, O Jehovah, My God who lights up my darkness.

Psalms 51:4
    Against you—you above all—I have sinned; What is bad in your eyes I have done. So that you might prove righteous when you speak And be right in your judgment.Against you—you above all—I have sinned; What is bad in your eyes I have done. Therefore, you are righteous when you speak, You are right in your judgment.

Psalms 105:18
    With fetters they bound his feet; His neck was put in ironsWith fetters they bound his feet, His neck was put in irons;

Psalms 119:76
    May your loyal love please comfort me, According to the promise, you made to your servant.May your loyal love please comfort me, According to the promise you made to your servant.

Romans 8:3
    What the Law was incapable of doing because it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and concerning sin, condemned sin in the flesh,What the Law was incapable of doing because it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and concerning sin, condemning sin in the flesh,

Ruth 4:3
    Boaz now said to the repurchaser: “Na·o′mi, who has returned from the fields of Mo′ab, must sell the plot of land that belonged to our brother E·lim′e·lech.Boʹaz now said to the repurchaser: “Na·oʹmi, who has returned from the fields of Moʹab, must sell the plot of land that belonged to our brother E·limʹe·lech.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

All, the combined DIFF formatting doesn't seem to be allowed. So I have changed it to display just the old and new text. Sometimes the differences are hard to spot - perhaps a missing quote, "ed" to "ing".... have fun!

• fastJehu
    fastJehu
    MeanMrMustard

Thanks for your hard work.

I'am fan of your WT IT-projects

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Thanks fastJehu. These projects are fun mind candy.

• Splash
    Splash

Thanks MMM, I still have the comparison work from your original project - brilliant problem solving!

I've found all the differences in the above list. Most are single character changes or insertions, with just a few textual changes.

Oil trees become pine trees and a couple of other minor changes which do not appear to have a fundamental thought change.

For your info, a font change wouldn't trigger a hit in your algorithm because a font is merely a collection of glyphs which overlay the underlying unicode values.

• moreconfusedthanever
  • contramundum
    contramundum

I'm wondering what the point was in WT making such inconsequential changes

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thank you very much Mean Mr Mustard!

Initial comments: first of all I think it's interesting that there are not many changes. I can't quantify it, but I think there were more changes around the first few printings of the NWT in the 1950s and 60s, including some striking ones. (John 1:1 "Originally the Word was with God...") Maybe this indicates a degree of care and decisiveness with the 2013 revision.

Second comment: what on earth went on in Matt 5:18? It's almost as if someone with a sense of humour in 2013 decided mischievously to remove a phrase from the very verse of the Bible that says no jot or tittle can be removed.

Bibles sometimes get nicknames because of such mistakes, most famously the "wicked Bible", or "adulterous Bible", which instructed rather than proscribed adultery: "thou shalt commit adultery".

Maybe the 2013 NWT could be named the "heaven passing" Bible, because of the missing "smallest letter". Or a catchier title I can't come up with.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    And he will turn the hearts of fathers back toward sons, and the hearts of sons back toward fathers, so that I may not come and strike the earth, devoting it to destruction.”

I'd forgotten this scripture, this is a warning against family shunning if ever I saw one.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Thanks MMM!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit