Hotels for convention

by ElderBerry 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    Why do the brothers at Bethel spend so much time talking to hotel managers and trying to get some of the profits from JWs staying with them.

I don't think the WTS makes "a profit" or any kind of monetary kickback or commission from the "approved" hotels, but rather, I think they get x number of FREE rooms which they use for CO's, DO's, and Bethel delegates. Any free rooms that they do not use for these privileged delegates are often "sold" on a "contribution basis" to local brothers by the WT Rooming Dept.

This is not an isolated WT policy about greed. It is a common business practice when groups arrange conventions/meetings in any city. Often the City Tourism Commission will assist these groups as they want to rent their convention hall venue and they want to bring tourism dollars to their city. My wife and I were delegates/attendees of a lobbyist group where my biz is a member and we stayed at Trump Tower at a negotiated rate of about 65% of any other rate I could find available. I'm sure the lobbyists themselves had rooms comped to them because their grouped guaranteed x number of bookings.

I'm not defending WT, other than saying it's what any savvy business group would do.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I found this article: https://www.hotelmanagement.net/operate/paying-intermediaries-analysis-hotel-commissions

Intermediaries do make commissions so I am assuming the JW qualify based upon how I read it.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Just want to say great name ElderBerry! It makes me smile every time I see it.

Did you see the play? Some exJWS I met on this site years ago and I still see it every time it comes through town.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I bet you can get better rates through Expedia, Travelocity, etc

• blondie
    blondie

So what will they do if jws do go to the closer hotels? I have seen many elders and MS stay at hotels not "approved" by the WTS. What about jws whose employers gives employees money-saving hotel benefits. The comp rooms go to jws with "connections." The WTS is bleeding cash despite all their property value. Jws for years have been going to the "no-no" hotels, elders included (saying we have to be closer because of our "responsibilities" at the convention).

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

In the mid 90s I ran a bus tour to Brooklyn Bethel, Stanley Theater, WT Farms, quick peek at Paterson, then quick stop at Niagra Falls, Canada, finally Toronto Bethel.

I remember, pre internet I used the recommended WT Tour hotel list. I got 1 free room night for every 15 room nights booked, plus a free room for the bus driver. Seems common to offer this to tour operators.

I used a couple free rooms for my mom and I, plus another friend who worked to organize it. My trip was free. I only charged $200 per person for the trip, hotel and bus (4 to a room), $300 pp for 2 to a room. Breakfast included. Everything else on you.

I spread some savings from the freebies to lower the cost so some who couldn't normally afford it could. I didn't lose money.

I do realize now how little we got to see in Niagra Falls on the tour compared to last year when our family went for 3 days. So glad I'm out of the cult, but I do have some good memories of the tour.

Snakes

• ElderBerry
    ElderBerry

Bethel definitely make a profit. They are not doing it to help anyone they are doing it for financial gain.

The hotels they want you to pay for are more expensive and further away. They are making it more difficult

• ElderBerry
    ElderBerry

I wonder if those who are staying at the banned hotels will be shocked it’s full of other naughty witnesses

thry may have thought they are the only ones🤣

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"I wonder if those who are staying at the banned hotels will be shocked it’s full of other naughty witnesses"

Who's going to be dobbing who into the WT?

• ElderBerry
    ElderBerry

The situation is different today even if someone dobbed in the naughty witnesses for going against direction, it doesn’t seem to matter these days.

Look how many are going against direction by not keep getting the vaccine anymore to stay fully vaccinated.

Most JWs think for themselves these days and won’t follow direction without thinking it through themselves. What are the elders going to do if publishers don’t go and get a vaccine or don’t go and stay in the expensive hotels they want them to?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit