Hotels for convention

by ElderBerry 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ElderBerry
    ElderBerry

A department in Bethel wants to try to make money from regional conventions by asking local hotels if they will give a special rate and a coupon code to give to JWs.

They should just keep it simple and not be greedy for dishonest gain.

This year some convention sites the hotels said no thank you I think the JWs are going to book with us anyway. They said no to Bethel. So Bethel went to other hotels further away and made agreements with them to earn money from all the JWs going to be staying there.

Then they wrote a letter to all congregations saying not to stay in those hotels that said no but stay in these other hotels further away that made an agreement with Bethel. The letters read please don’t stay in those hotels who said no to Bethel as it will make it harder in the future for Bethel to negotiate.

What has actually happened now is rank and file totally ignore the letter and those hotels that said no to Behtel are fully booked with rebellious JWs.
  • Gorb
    Gorb

Follow the money.

G.

• SadElder
    SadElder

They will post uber elders to watch who goes to the blocked hotels and then harass the dubs for going there.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

$$$$ Watchtower is always trying to make a buck. Poor single parents are steered to Hotels that pay Watchtower an agent's commission, even if JWs have to drive 20 miles more versus very close hotels that refuses to participate giving Watchtower kickbacks.

"Typical Commissions: The standard commission rate for hotel bookings falls in the range of 8% to 15% of the total room cost. This means that for every dollar the client spends on accommodation, a travel agent may earn anywhere from 8 to 15 cents as a commission."

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

If I understand this posting correctly, instead of booking for better rates for the witnesses, they are getting commissions...or are they getting better rates and commissions? Anyone with any personal knowledge in this area. I do know that they hold in reserve some close rooms ( we ended up in one one year ) it was a room we could not have rented without a connection. too long ago to remember the details...I just remember thinking it was unfair.

• SadElder
    SadElder

I don't know about now but in times past when booking rooms for the conventions we asked the hotel sales agent or manager how many comp rooms would we get. It was based on the number of rooms booked in. Those comp rooms either went to visiting 'dignitaries' or if unused would be put out to dubs who would pay the convention for the value of the room.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

There's a pretty simple explanation for hotels not wanting to accommodate Jehovah's Witnesses. Jehovah's Witness is an ancient Hebrew term, meaning: lousy tipper.

• ElderBerry
    ElderBerry

Talking to a few about their plans for 2024 regional convention, the hotels that Bethel will earn commission are further away and more expensive than the close nicer hotels to the venue. The close hotels said no to Bethel as they feel witnesses will book them anyway as they are walking distance to the venue.

The hotels Bethel will earn money from are so far away you would have to get a taxi or pay for parking which is very expensive I wouldn’t be surprised if Bethel are trying to make a profit on that as well.

We had a very strong letter read out to all congregations saying please don’t book the hotels that refuse to pay Bethel as it will weaken their negotiating power in the future, Duh! Yeah Bethel why not stay out of it and stop being greedy. If someone wants to make their own plans then stay out of it.

I swear some brothers in Bethel have nothing to do and want to make things up to justify their staying in Bethel.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

ive got a better idea for saving money on hotel bills...

dont go to the assembly.

simples.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

We had an uber spiritual family friend (a finance director) who was put in charge of overseeing rooming, hotels, travel on a large scale for the society.

He quickly realised that the brothers were being totally ripped off by all the higher hotel charges, travel charges etc the society were insisting to travel and stay at society events.

He tried to reason with the society that the brothers could get places and rates at much better prices that the organisation were promoting.

He was basically told to get lost and shut up or quit the privilege.

He quit the 'privilege' in disgust.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit