Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Baker Who Refused to Bake Cake for Gay Couple

by Simon 286 Replies latest social current

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

An important consideration was that the state commission made different decisions in other cases, and made statements regarding the baker's religious beliefs in their case. After the state made the original decision, some religious folks went to homosexual bakers and asked them to make a biblical theme cake decorated with scriptures declaring sodomy to be sinful. The bakers refused, the customers went to the same civil rights commission, who in this case upheld the bakers' right to not make the cake because they did not like its message. The decision may have gone the other way if the commission had consistently ruled that no business could refuse a customer request (subject to other lawful restrictions: libel, obscenity, etc.).

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Does he refuse to make Halloween cakes...

As a matter of fact, he will not make Halloween cakes. From NBC news:

"I don't create cakes for Halloween, I wouldn't create a cake that would be anti-American or disparaging against anybody for any reason, even cakes that would disparage people who identify as LGBT,” he said. "Cakes have a message and this is one I can't create."

The narrow Supreme Court ruling ruling in Phillips’ case applied to the specific facts of his case only and gave little hint as to how the court might decide future cases involving florists, bakers, photographers and other business owners who have cited religious and free-speech objections when refusing to serve gay and lesbian customers in the wake of the Supreme Court's 2015 same-sex marriage decision.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

These case was actually very very foolish. How can you force a pweso. To create some th ing they dont want to create.

It's not like he is a doctor he is a fucking baker... he has no creed to live by that forces him In to service.

Go into a jew bakery and tell them to make an offensive Nazi cake or a black bakery and make a cake dealing with slavery this is fucking ridiculous

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

So, im bumping this to solicit peoples reactions on “the red hen” refusal to serve sara sanders based on who she works for....

do you feel as strongly? Do you feel that gay people should have cakes baked but people who have certain political views shouldnt be served?

Does it matter that sanders wasnt discussing her views, she was simply trying to eat dinner? Just wondering if the left will be consistant

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In the UK protected characteristics are as follows: age, disability, gender, marital status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion, sex, and sexual orientation.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/hr/equality/focus/equalityact/protected

Political affiliation/views is not a protected characteristic.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

So you support discrimination based on political view?

Also, this isnt the UK. Thank god.

• Simon
    Simon

Refusing to serve someone who comes into your store or restaurant to purchase what everyone else is able to buy is pure discrimination and pretty low. If that are the rules the left want to apply then they should apply to all for any reason.

But I'd rather go with everyone having the right to turn people away than have the government deciding who has to do what. That is the path to the dark side and will be misused.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

So what are the protected characteristic in the US? Is political orientation one of them?

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Dont confuse my “thank god this isnt europe” for anything other a general prayer of thanks.

It varies from state to state. It is in fact illegal in washington DC to discriminate based political affiliation.

However, i didnt ask about legality. I asked if you took the same position based on political party that you did when it was sexual orientation.

• Hisclarkness
    Hisclarkness

For the record, I think it was wrong for sanders not to have been served regardless of her political beliefs. However, this isn’t the same issue.

Businesses can refuse service to anyone they want for whatever reason as long as it’s not discriminating based on a protected class.

The issue of whether or not the baker discriminated against the gay couple has already been discussed at length. But sexual orientation is a protected status. Political belief is not. So while I disagree with it, there is no legal issue here.

On on a side note, it can be difficult to have these discussions where we have real differences of opinion on issues that affect real people in real situations and then just pretend everything is normal and we can sit and eat together.

It can be difficult for someone who has family members that are directly affected by certain laws and policies to treat those who support and are affiliated with said policies as if everything is peachy. I’m not saying that we should be hating each other but we should keep in mind that at the end of the day it’s more than just policies and ideals; it’s actual people and lives.

Just saying.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit