VICKI BOER - Mistakes we are making

by observador 14 Replies latest social current

• observador
    observador

Hello folks,
    Let me tell you in advance that this post has no intention of hurting anyone. The efforts made by those spearheading the efforts to help Vicki are truly commendable.

Having said that, I have noticed some silly mistakes we are making while trying to help Vicki out.

Here are some as I see them:

1) A home page was created to hold documents related to the case. But why should we put in the address http://hometown.aol.ca/scullyxjw/vb-letters.html the part "xjw". Think about this: yesterday I got someone looking for info on the matter to forward to someone still a JW and could not use the above address, simply because it is clearly an xJW thing.

Solution to this: it costs no more than a few dozen bucks to set up a good domain name and a host server. We could create something like www.helpvicki.com, for example.

2) Look at the article from the Canadian Press. There is no date attached to it. I understand that we don't have control over this, but also look at the Press Release: when was this released? By whom? Today this case is fresh in our minds; two or three months from now, we may be unable to say when this was released.

3) The idea of having that article and press release in PDF or Word format is great for printing. But not everyone will print it. So, let's put it up there in plain html format and in a easy-to-navigate way. I am sure we have people here with web design skills.

4) This is not really a mistake, but more of a suggestion: we have to reach a broader audience. The translation to French was great. But, as it's not hard to imagine, there are quite a few people here who speak languages other than English; we could translate those things to as many languages as possible by volunteers and put links on that website.

5) Another suggestion: since we have good writers on the board, someone could put up there a better article, well written, well worded, which would move and inspire people to action and/or donation.

Please understand that I am not just making a constructive criticism; if those spearheading the efforts ask ME I would be able to help with item #1 and #4 above. After setting up the web site and host server I would pass the UserId and Password to those spearheading so that the other items would be provided by someone else.

Folks, if we continue to make those silly mistakes we may not succeed.

I believe that if we pull together in a less amateurish and more coordinated way we can raise awareness and produce good results.

When the WT feels what we can accomplish working together it will fear a little more.

I will be checking this site in the evening. If you want to send me a private message feel free.

Let's not loose momentum.

What do you all think?

Observador.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Quite frankly I think you make some impartial and excellent observations and I don't think you need to be sorry or apologize. It's important that things be reviewed critically and if can be done better, then so be it.

I would urge you to contact and help Scully and Ex_pat out in the matter.

hawk

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

I have considered some of these same things.

I will provide the hosting for free if someone wants to do this:

http://www.non-prophet.com

Rev

--------
    LambsRoar.org

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

*Weeps hysterically*

Actually Observador, all the points you have made a very good ones. And all of the mistakes you highlighted pretty much resulted out of necessity because the whole letter campaign was put together in literally a few days, using time/people/resources immediately available. It was felt necessary to do it this quickly because the fact is that issues go "off the boil" very quickly.

However, if someone did want to host the material on a site with a generic url, that would be great. And if anyone wants to translate the material into other languages (esp. Spanish and Italian), also great. Just let us know!

Expatbrit

• observador
    observador

Rev,

Thank you so much. I didn't know of the existence of non-prophet.com. Thanks a lot for letting us know.

Hawkaw,

I would urge you to contact and help Scully and Ex_pat out in the matter.

Absolutely. Scully and Expatbrit, you've got mail.

Folks, I feel that we can definitely do better. I am willing to help. I can't silence when I feel I can contribute.

Being English not my first language and not living in Canada, I was a little hesitant, but time has come for me to do something.

I appeal to those who speak natively languages other than English to contact those spearheading these efforts.

I appeal to those who have web design skills to contact them or myself so that we could work something out.

Please reply to this message with any suggestions for a domain name you feel is efective/easy to remember.

Again, I praise those who have done something, but I feel we can and will do better if we pull TOGETHER by pooling our resources and abilities. The WT will feel what it means when a bunch of well-coordinated people work together.

Thank you all.

Observador.

• waiting
    waiting

I hate to just "bttt".........

so I'm relieved to see Expatbrit's not afraid to be a man who "*Weeps hysterically*" Good attribute.

When I was at Steve Hassan & Randy Watter's cult seminar - the point was brought out repeatedly -

NO ONE has gotten any amount of xjw's to unite.

It's like an anti-cult statement. We refuse to be a united front against the WTBTS - possibly because we would have to unite.....which is too similar to the WTBTS's "united brotherhood."

So we remain fragmented.....and much power is lost. And we do it by choice - which includes me, btw.

Perhaps it's time. We certainly have enough causes to unite against the WTBTS - just the sexual abuse victims alone is thousands of human causes.

lol - but we are a testy group of survivors.

waiting

• shamus
    shamus

This lack of organization has been bothering me for quite some time! Thank you for pointing it out! Excellent post!

One person on this board, whom shall remain nameless, does quite a bit behind the scenes for the protest rallies, mail-outs, etc. He/She shall remain nameless, but he/she knows who he/she is! Right? I would love to tell you who, to give credit to where credit is due... but it is top secret!

We need more organization. We need more protest rallies. We need more letter-writing campaigns. We need to vent on the forum, true. But we are spinning our wheels sometimes. Lurkers come here, and wow! How many have had they're eyes wide open to the cult. But we need to do MORE! And the cost of this is basicall zero.

Imagine at the next district convention if there were 2,000 protesters at each one? Could you imagine the world-wide publicity?

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    so I'm relieved to see Expatbrit's not afraid to be a man who "*Weeps hysterically*" Good attribute.

That was illustrative antitypical hyperbole, Waiting!

Expatbrit (retreating with tattered remains of English reserve wrapped around him)

• waiting
    waiting

naaaaaaaaaaa. I think you're a secret weeper, kiddo.

snicker. snicker. snicker.

• shamus
    shamus

You two get a time out, ok?

Bad, bad apostates! Jehovah and I hate you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit