Invasion of the Asian lady beetles

by freein89 17 Replies latest jw friends

• freein89
    freein89

Greetings from western WI, the land of great clouds of freaking lady beetles. They have been swarming here this week. Unbelievable. They were imported some years back to control aphids on crops and I guess they got out of control. Little buggers bite and by the time you get from car to house you are covered with them. Yuk

Deb

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Don't you just love when man messes with mother nature. Introduce a species to control a problem, and create another .

Never heard of lady beetles, biting though. Are they the same as we call lady bugs?

• Englishman
    Englishman

Lady Beetles..Lady Bugs...C'mon! Lets get the name right here!

Englishman.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

We have them too! We live in Northern MN and two days ago we had an unseasonably warm day. Within hours the window sills and walls were crawling w/these damn bugs! Outside it looked like lots of dust in the air but was actually these ladybugs flying around. The sides of the house were covered as well as the screens and doors! I leave my vacuum out all day long and for the past two days I have vacuumed them out of the house every 10-15 minutes! ewwwwwwwww..........

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Yup they are here in the Twin Cities too. Along with hundreds more like thousands Boxelder bugs. Cover solid outside walls. Just nasty!!

Old Crow

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Sounds like the invasion of army worms we get here in the Spring.

It would be interesting if someone could post a pic of them invading the walls of the house.

OCW said:

Along with hundreds more like thousands Boxelder bugs.

I sense a joke somewhere there !

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I live in Madison, WI now and they were all over my apartment yesterday. I still can't figure out how the hell they got in. No holes in the screens. New building....we spent half the night trying to get them out, but as soon as you open the patio door, more fly in.

They had something on the news last night about them. Saying that if you don't get them out, they'll be with you all winter! They're just trying to find a winter home. They look like ladybugs, but the newscaster said they were asian beetles. And they DO bite!

I remember years ago in South Carolina, we had something like this, but with caterpillers. They were crawling all over the ground, falling into your hair out of the trees. Millions of them. We could hardly go in field service.

Yeah, xjw, when we mess with nature, it always comes back to bite us in the ass!

April

• Badger
    Badger

Damn...I was hoping for an inavsion of the Asian ladies...

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

haha badger!

Anyway....seems they ARE lady bugs. They DON'T bite. (the one on my leg did!) And they can't reproduce in your house. whew

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/lady_bugs.htm?source=overture#control

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Sounds very unpleasant !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit