What do scriptural contradictions convey?

by venus 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• venus
    venus

Any book that claims to be God’s word should have the minimum qualification of clarity. If any of its verses are open to many interpretations, it cannot be God’s word. God can easily be crystal clear as Traffic Police who puts traffic signals (RED means STOP, GREEN means START …etc.) Not to mention are the contradictions. If I find contradictions, I conclude this way: “These contradictory verses are written by two different schools of thought with each one having beliefs-system opposed to each other, and have nothing to do with God.”

That means verses such as the following verses are purely of human origin:

1) We are saved by faith alone without works (Romans 3:20, 28; 5:1) x A man is justified by works, and not by faith only (James 2:24)

2) Thou shalt not kill. (Exodus 20:13) x kill every man his brother…companion…neighbor. (Exodus 32:27)

3) Death came to all people, because all sinned… (Romans 5:12) x Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death. (John 8:51)

4) To Pilate Jesus “answered never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly… (Matthew 27:13-14) x Jesus answered Pilate, saying … (John 18:33-34)

5) He who is not with me is against me (Mathew 12:30) x Whoever is not against us is for us (Mark 9:40)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk

Well, indeed.

There are those that will do mental gymnastics to prove these are not contradictions.

On one hand it's just how men interpreted stuff, on the other god....probably another hand too.

If there was an all powerful god that authored the bible, there would be no possibility of contradictions.

It conveys to me that it's all just a man made load of nonsense.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Last week's bible reading certainly made me think of how modest jehober god is.

Ezekiel 23 verse 20

20 She lusted after them like the concubines of men whose male members are like those of a donkey and whose genitals are like those of a horse.
    Made me jealous too!just saying!
  • EverApostate
    EverApostate

Am going nuts with this:

Proverbs 26:

4 Do not answer the stupid one according to his foolishness, So that you do not put yourself on his level.

5 Answer the stupid one according to his foolishness, So that he does not think he is wise.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I think it conveys that the bible is a piece of crap that has destroyed billions of lives.

• Saename
    Saename

To be fair, including point #3 on a list of Bible contradictions is weak argumentation. It's either dishonest or ignorant.

• venus
    venus

Saename,

Not only contradictions, even other assertions carry inherent contradictions. For example, you know that something against demand-and-supply mechanism will not happen—if someone says “when supply of gold exceeds and becomes superfluous like sand in the desert, its price will increase” no one will agree. Similarly, Can a father exalt one child (Jesus) over others, or one nation (Israel) over others? Can a nation that experienced a great miraculous escape soon turn into calf worship telling a single calf idol: ‘You are our gods, who brought us up out of Egypt’? (Exodus 32:4) Can a nation that experienced millions of miracles from Jesus soon turn to be so mad as to demand “Kill Jesus, and release for us Barabbas!” which would bring them no benefit at all? (Luke 23:18) Yet these are not just isolated verses, but are the very pillar on which the whole Bible is built!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    venus - "What to scriptural contradictions convey?"

That the writers of said scriptures have no concept of narrative consistency?

I man, jeezus, people, that's basic "Creative Writing 101" stuff...

:smirk:

• Island Man
    Island Man

For a belly full of laughs check out the stupendously ironic, cluelessly authored, 1 Timothy 6:1:

Let those who are under the yoke of slavery keep on considering their owners worthy of full honor, so that the name of God and the teaching may never be spoken of injuriously.
  • zeb
    zeb

We are looking at works written over thousands of years in ancient desert Hebrew, whatever was used in the Davidic era, then across the generations to the Greek, writers. Unless you have studied at these languages to get the correct meaning in syntax you can be confusing, colloquial, literal, illustrative meanings. Yes its all a tad confusing I have always felt there is a big chunk missing some where.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit