What do scriptural contradictions convey?

by venus 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man

The Bible definitely has all the hallmarks of a work that was authored by ancient men. A wise God would not do such a poor job.

There's no way to make sense of the morally questionable commands and discrepancies in the Bible, in such a way that does not either expose the Bible as a purely human work; or paint its divine author as a grossly irresponsible communicator responsible for much suffering due to his ambiguous communication.

• smiddy
    smiddy

What is wrong with God that he doesnt / couldnt revise his word down through the ages ?

You would think that a loving God who had genuine concern and "love for the world of mankind" would give them his latest communication to them in these "last days " before he smites them off the face of the earth

Why are we still looking at centuries old "inspired" writings that keeps getting interpreted ,re-interpreted by imperfect humans as to what God was supposed to have meant ?

What do they know ?

Why cant he speak for himself ?

Why cant he speak plain english ,hebrew,greek in todays language instead of us relying on interpreting dead languages that nobody understands today ?

And supposed bible scholars have different views anyway just to confuse matters more .

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I seem to recall a Watchtower publication back in the 80s that touched on some of the arguments that "worldly" scholars used to "refute" the assumption that the Bible was God's Word (many of which have been listed in this thread)...

...and even then (I was in my teens), I couldn't help but find some of those arguments compelling.

I remember thinking to myself, "Uhh... maybe showing us this wasn't the most well-thought-out idea..."

:smirk:

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Answer = that the writings in the bible by men alone were done so as create power and relevance for and by the ancient Hebrews who were endeavored to create an engaging relationship to their select god. YHWH

They were nevertheless fictitious like other ancient mythological expressions but they were devised with their inherent purpose and intent such as the NT Gospels.

• venus
    venus

smiddy,

The fact that God doesn't take measures to correct the scriptures or He is not bothered to unify religions shows that scriptures and religions are not His. He knows very well that people know what is right and wrong, hence why should people be given external guidance?

For example, many lick the shoes of those from whom they expect some benefits, and kick the feet of those from whom they expect no benefits--we find its varying degree among people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit