the Great Cntraction continues

by never a jw 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Thank you Al Gore for inventing the internet!!

If that were the case, at least Al would have done something to contribute to society!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    neverajw: Thank you Al Gore for inventing the internet!!

Mmmm...not really on topic (and I apologize for being pedantic, but speaking of the internet...it is really easy to check facts)...I think you are crediting the wrong person for the invention of the internet:

If you had to isolate the key inventors of the Internet, it would have to be two people: Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn. The WWW, which is different from the Internet, but what most people think of as the "Internet", was invented later by Tim Berners-Lee.

Al Gore coined the term Information Superhighway, but he did not invent the Internet.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001016.htm

• never a jw
    never a jw

OC

"I think you are crediting the wrong person for the invention of the internet"

It's one of the many ways Republicans in the U.S. mock Al Gore. I don't even know if there's any basis for it, but many people find it amusing. Al Gore was never my guy, so I don't mind making repeating the joke.
    EDT to add:

Al Gore actually said in an interview: "I took the initiative in creating the internet".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFJ8cHAlco

Not exactly inventing the internet, but certainly giving himself credit for the creation of the internet

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Ah...gotcha, neverajw.

It is difficult to pick up on the haha! moments online sometimes. I don't always 'get' the humor. Mind you, my jokes fly over most people's heads too...what I find funny doesn't tickle everybody

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

From SNOPES:

When asked to describe what distinguished him from his challenger for the Democratic presidential nomination, Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey, Gore replied (in part):

During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country’s economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.

In context, Gore’s response (which employed the word “created,” not “invented”) was clear in meaning:
    the vice president was not claiming that he “invented” the Internet in the sense of having designed or implemented it, but rather that he was one of the visionaries responsible for helping to bring it into being by fostering its development in an economic and legislative sense,

Orphan Crow...........it's a joke. Hyperbole.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It was predicted that the JWS cult is going to go into a decline in modernized countries, we are starting to see that now.

It has to be realized that the easily offered and available information via the inter-net is assisting in making that happen.

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

That's great news neverajw! Thanks for sharing. I don't know about the Spanish speakers here, and have wondered if they are also contracting.

I know of a cong here that had a very serious talk by the c.o. saying they were in a critical position because of so many inactive people. The next c.o., six months later, reported that they were doing well. Nothing changed. The inactive were just taken off the lists, and they were lied to by that crocked c.o. Of course, they were doing well because a lot of people woke up. Now they are combined with another congregation; hiding the losses. Poor mind controlled JWs putting up with thought stopping. Can't be negative about the contraction!

It makes it easier to fade!

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Well, they have yet another scripture to wrap Jdubs heads with, once the questions begin to flow.

"The bible predicts this. In the last days the love of the greater number shall have diminished", or words to that effect.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Let's all sing:

"Wonderous expansion is NOT taking place. . . . ."

(Sorry to those of you who will have that jingle in your head for the next hour now.)

• steve2
    steve2

If there were full attendances at meetings, deleting congregations would not occur. It is no secret that mid-week meetings are often poorly attended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit