Police Welfare Check

by JRK 19 Replies latest jw friends

• JRK
    JRK

I awoke in the middle of the night to banging on my door. I went to the door half asleep and asked who was there. I heard “Police.” My dog was going crazy, so I slipped outside to talk to them. Someone was worried about me being suicidal and thought I may be drinking heavily on my heart medications. They were satisfied that I was sober and okay and left.

The weird thing is that all of my friends know that I am not suicidal, and would have called me first before calling the police. They do know that I am having heart issues grieving my mother’s death, along with other changes in my life. But they weren’t the ones who called. The police told me the call was anonymous.

Hearing loud banging on your door in the middle of the night is not good for a person with heart issues. It is a scary situation that increases stress.

The person that called did give the police my name and address, so the cops knew where I live. I even called my sisters to confirm it wasn’t them. I knew it wasn’t them because they have nothing to do with me.

I wonder who it was? If it was someone on this board, just call me next time. There are many instances where police end up shooting the occupant or their dog on wellness checks. It is not cool to do that unless there is a really good reason.

JK

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Depending where you live, someone can call a "crisis" center in a hospital (Life Line) to report a mental health situation, and they respond with a sergeant from the local PD and other cops. They can force themselves into your apartment if they have to. But the police, without being accompanied by a crisis team are not supposed to just barge in just to check up on you. -Again, depending on where you live.

• JRK
    JRK

It was a little bit of overkill, three squad cars showed up. Only two officers came to my door. They did not barge in though, But there was no mental health issue.

JK

• flipper
    flipper

JRK- I'll send you a PM on who I think did this. Check your PMs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am an emergency worker and in my state, we CAN do wellness checks that even include breaking into a home.
    It is done for supposedly good reasons, so we don't have a legal barrier. We do have to give an opportunity for the person to answer the door, it isn't a search warrant type of situation. But when they don't answer, we are going in.

Clearly, these officers did not spend enough time with you to be sure there wasn't a mental health issue. (Hey, you gotta joke sometimes.)

• JRK
    JRK

Flipper,

Thank you for your observations and thoughts. Great minds think alike!

JK

• JRK
    JRK

OTWO,

Thanks for the laugh! I sure hope I get a good night's sleep without any harassment tonight.

I am glad I woke up so they didn't break down the door. I would hate to pay for the repairs.

JK

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

That would have been a frightening/weird experience JRK ,you wouldn`t want that to happen too often

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    The weird thing is that all of my friends know that I am not suicidal, and would have called me first before calling the police.

So it wasn't a friend, and it may have not been done in good intention.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Sounds to me a little bit like the caller may be the one with some issues...perhaps a bit of transference? Or he or she suffering from anxiety?

Hope you get some rest tonight JRK xxxx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit