Kingdom Hall consolidation video - managing decline and collapse

by slimboyfat 45 Replies latest members campaign

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Fascinating pro-JW comment from 2008:

But they have waited on Jehovah to provide, and he has done so - in a big way!
    Back in the mid-1980's when the literature was generally offered for a fixed contribution, who would have thought that millions of magazines, books, Bibles, videos, CD's and DVD's could be just given away? Least of all those who view the Watch Tower Society as a business concern.
    It is almost 20 years since the arrangement came into effect in the US. The last branches to make the change did so in 2000.
    Since then, millions of books and magazines have been distributed free of charge, giving the lie to opposers' claim that the Watch Tower "sells books". More than 70,000,000 magazines are printed every month and made available without charge - an inconceivable business model in the world. Not to mention the thousands of Kingdom Halls that have been built! And all of that without any pressure to donate.
    I believe that this is clear evidence of Jehovah's blessing.

The truth is that cutbacks had already begun as early as the 1990s: paperbacks instead of hardbacks, fewer cassettes, videos, calendars, fewer quality items such as concordance and Insight books, and so on.

But in 2018 print has been all but eliminated and there is increased pressure to donate. WT was a publishing company and it has gone bust because it stopped charging for its literature. Whether it can secure an alternative financial basis remains to be seen.

JWs see the literature cut back to the bone, branches and KHs closing, yet they are being asked to donate more than ever before. It stretches credulity (and loyalty) to the limit.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry
    Surely they are ploughing great gobs of money into the website for video production etc. I don't think we are anywhere near close to seeing the full amount of content WT has planned for that propoganda beast.

The quality of the 2018 Jonah video is way down compared to 2016 and 2017.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I hesistate to ask this, but where is any proof whatsoever of decreased membership where congregations have been merged? It hasnt happened in The DC area. Newer larger congregations are maintaining status quo. People are upset at first then they get over it. Its not at all playing out as you claim it will. Human nature hates change then embraces it then forgets it was a change at all. People move on.

This is typical of your wishful thinking because, from the outside, it bothers YOU so you project that on everyone else. For those in the midst of it, they are moving on. It has had no long term effect. Show numbers that prove otherwise.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

SBF

Doubting Bro - Yes but this is exactly the problem. Congregations are made up of human beings, with shared histories and identities. They are not plastic chips in an abstract accounting game. On paper, two nearby congregations, with underused KHs, can be merged, and “efficiencies” can be realised. In practice, you’ll end up swapping two declining congregations for one declining congregation, fewer members, greater dissatisfaction, and poorer prospects for growth or contributions. “Efficiencies” that look good on paper will never be realised in practice, because congregations comprise human beings with their own hopes, desires, agendas.

I do understand that and certainly its a valid point that the WTS isn't taking into consideration how the members would respond. But, in what I've observed (there's 2 congregations that shared a same KH in this area that have been merged to 1), your prediction isn't playing out. They have the same numbers as before. Frankly, the WTS has ALWAYS treated their members like crap. Growing up JW, I never thought the org cared about me. We were always supposed to just put our head down and do what we were told. What I agree with you on and I think it's a bigger item, is this very attitude displayed by the WTS is getting old. The members have been moving toward apathy for a long time. The down-sizing has been going on for quite some time. After awhile, most members just don't care. They are going through the motions. Sure, some may get upset but most will get over it and continue in the mind numbing routine. What will ultimately push JWs into a small fringe organization isn't a financial misstep, it's apathy. If the consolidation came with things like youth programs and more member friendly services like some other religions have, they would be in a much better spot because they would be giving people what they really want from a religion which is emotional support. JWs get no emotional support from the org.

When I mentioned the financial crisis I meant the apparent crisis in the WT organisation that prompted them to beg for money in 2015 and announce dramatic cutbacks. Not the global financial crisis of 2008.

What apparent crisis? They've always begged for money. The move to the congregation tithing arrangement and the money grab? If we had hard data, then I would agree but it's just speculation based on some of their actions.

The move to Warwick saved money or cost money? You seem to have it both ways. As I understand it, in 2015 they reached a real crunch point, and the decision was made to “scale back, delay, or cancel” worldwide projects in order to be able to proceed with Warwick. There was even apparently consideration given to abandoning the Britain branch mid project. So far they have instead opted to downscale Chelmsford significantly rather than abandon it altogether. So how come they proceeded with Warwick? A mixture of things: it was already advanced when crisis hit, they miscalculated, cancelled other projects, and are in increasing financial difficulty as a result.
    Sorry I didn't clearly articulate what I meant regarding Warwick. I speculate (since they aren't financially transparent) that they saved money or got a net gain from the move. However, if they were indeed desperate, they could have saved millions more if they built a more modest headquarters. Even as late as 2015, they could have scaled back the project. They chose not to.

I think my biggest problem is that I tend to try to understand the WTS from a business point of view and they are such bad businessmen that it all doesn't make sense!

• jp1692
    jp1692
    SBF:The WT leadership seem to think that JWs should value obedience to theocratic direction over their personal connections with congregations.

Well, yeah!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

This is a cult that over extended itself in the 80-90’s . I think all the growth in Latin America and Africa made them think they could just do what they wanted and spend what they wanted. This so called growth off set in their minds the loss of hundreds of thousands of members after the 95 change in the generation teaching.

But then the 08 crash happened the money dried up and someone there figured out that the members that could afford to pay the bills were not that many anymore. All the growth came in third world countries while all those that left were mostly from 1st world.

Selling off all the big properties helped to right thier ship but they want as much money now that they can get before all the money members have gone and to help pay for the child abuse lawsuits.

These lawsuits are driving their policies , begging for money , titles of conventions and even talks show they are afraid they are loosing members at an alarming rate. Maybe they are or maybe they just realized they never had the amount of members they thought they had. We all here know about their fuzzy math when it comes to counting members. I’m thinking both has come to their attention, they never had the number of members they thought and that yes indeed the members are heading for the exits in record numbers.

• LV101
    LV101

Just posted under new topic referring to 'Quick Builds' but there is a new hall being built in Vegas. A growth trend is underway again here (imploding) and demographics re/witnesses and general growth usually different than rest of country - after 8 yrs. of horrific depression here.

Told this new structure looks really small -- but I'm not sure about size.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Is there a link to this video?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    "...The WT leadership seem to think that JWs should value obedience to theocratic direction over their personal connections..."

In other breaking news, water is wet.

Seriously though... terrific analysis in the OP.

Well done.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Doubting Bro - "They also would not have built a huge facility in Warwick."

Don't kid yourself.

It's not that huge.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit