What JW belief/idea do you disagree with the most ???

by run dont walk 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

Is there a particular belief/doctrine that really burns you up and makes you wonder how people could believe this, and did you as a loyal JW at one time believe in it (your most hated belief), what made you change your mind ???

For me, I always enjoy reading the history of the Watchtower (1879-1974), and how things constantly change from year to year.

The Sodom and Gomorrah question is hilarious , how many publications say no they won't and how many say yes they will, and the best is the yes and no answers came out the same year in different books/magazines.

I asked my brother (elder) on the constant JW changes and how he can accept this, (now understand he is a lifer and lives for the organization, so the answer he gave does NOT suprise me)

He said : "well, the Catholic church has said they made mistakes and doesn't change their ideas because of tradition.", he then goes on to say : "when Daniel was writing his book, he told God he does not understand what he is writing and it doesn't make sense, this is Daniel, Jehovah is telling him what to write and he did not understand fully, so who are we to question the full understanding of the scriptures, when the time is right Jehovah gives us new understanding, at least the Watchtower admits mistakes and corrects them."

Now before you all fall off your chair from laughter and disgust, what kind of answer did you expect from a JW lifer.

My comeback : "well, Daniel was one person, his book is still read today and believed and repected by millions, but Daniel was just one person, how do you explain, the Watchtower organization (god's channel), a faithful and discreet slave class, a governing body, an annoited class of 9,000 or so, we are not talking about one person like Daniel, are you trying to tell me that all 9000 (more or less) can't understand God, or that the time isn't right !!! and if these are the last days and Armageddon is around the corner as preached by the Watchtower, isn't the time right NOW, are the wrong publications still read, respected, and believed today ???, I want you to pull out the 1984 Watchtower entitled "1914, the generation that will not pass away", read it cover to cover, meditate on it (always hated that saying when I was growing up a JW), and call me back and explain what they said, and the changes that have occured since then, it's only 19 years, in closing, will the Watchtowers you are reading today, still be useful in 25-50 years or will the information all be changed again to fit the times."

I other question I asked him, that kind of stumped him was "If someone is df'd, or removed because of something they believe in, and the Watchtower changes their tune later, say 20 years down the road, and it turns out what this person was removed for was right, what is done then ???"

Well, for the first time I can remember I stumped him, the conversation ended in a stalemate.

So what is your biggest disagreement with a JW belief, blood, 1914, colored shirts, beards ???

• sens
    sens

I guess I have a few...

but my biggest while there was the 144,000

• jwbot
    jwbot

It always angered my that it seemed like they were teaching that Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed because they were all homosexual. This is untrue, even by bible standards. And well, maybe they didnt teach that specifically, but I still got that impression.

I also felt (of course) that their treatment of women is outright wrong.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

ARMAGEDDON

We know that the Bible speaks of a time of judgement, but to preach that the basis for judgement is "How one reacts to the kingdom preaching of Jehovahs Witnesses" ( Typical , not a direct quote") is just immoral. It denegrates God into a petty tyrant who would slaughter the ignorant, and their children, at whim.

Did I once believe it ? Yes, absolutely - and I preached it from the platform on many occasions.

What caused me to see through it? The realisation that there are good,ordinary people out there , and in no way would our Father slaughter them .

Incidentally, when challenged the dubs, and the Org. will backpedal and talk about "Gods final judgement and we must not pre judge etc etc. , but the next meeting they repeat the old line - that is what they really believe other wise the importance of the ministry would not be there.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Using the Rod on Children - Precious gifts from God
    Masturbation is wrong in Jehovah's eyes
    The meetings are a protection.

....it just kept falling apart as the years went by.

• Swan
    Swan

The shunning thing. Can you imagine Christ shunning someone? He talked to everyone, even women.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

From a Biblical and Christian standpoint, I'd put the "Two-Hopes" stuff first: leading so many people to read away the best of the NT by commenting "it's nice, but it's not for me", and strengthening the addiction to the "organization" at the same time...

On a more human and practical standpoint, of course, I guess many things are much worse (the no-blood policy for instance).

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

"And I look, and I see much false doctrine, which were too many to number..."

And I stood away from the other side of the fence, and behold I see the biggest lie of them all...that Jesus is Michael!

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

3) The idea that men are all that and women aren't even fit to speak directly from the platform?

2) Blood?

And the winner:

1) "It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step". We're incompentent, but follow us anyway.

In reality, all the doctrinal points that I had real issue with seemed to stem either from A) irrational application of ancient texts which at some point got collected in the Bible, or B) "Rub your Tummy, Pat your Head" chronological math tricks reminiscent of an Abbott and Costello routine.

• blaid
    blaid

There is no way to put my finger on just one belief that I disagree with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit