Thoughts on African Americans and Slavery

by Simon 44 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

I think that is mixing two different (but obviously related) things: the holocaust and with it the anti-semitism that seems for some reason to be inexorably linked to certain political movements and the security and political (military) support of the modern state of Israel.

I think jews have reason to be nervous of both - there are whole nations of people who's stated goal is to wipe jews off the face of the earth both as a religious and a political goal. There are not quite the same numbers of people suggesting we return to slavery.

Of course we should we wary of and oppose either groups.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

What makes me puzzling about slavery

The EXODUS served as inspiration for many that lived in SLAVERY or were persecuted to fight for freedom and civil rights. Indeed the legend or founding myth of Israel - the exodus - bears the message that Israelites were DELIVERED FROM SLAVERY by God ... therefore they belong to God and there is a covenant,

Freedom from slavery thats the legendary myth of Israel

How could a people that hated slavery and was supposedly freed of SLAVERY - as in the hollywood films is shown very impressingly - after the exodus than support slavery further slavery in the law and not forbid it?

"If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. Exodus

"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property." -- Leviticus 25:44-45

Perhaps Moses was in reality the slave master in Egypt wand wanted to found a slave nation for himself,. because he was hated in Egypt?

• Simon
    Simon

It has certainly been used by anti-slavery groups but there is little evidence that it really happened and is anything more than a story.

So it can serve as a motivational story but not really any form of blueprint and it shouldn't be a surprise that it contradicts the more accurate representations of history that appear in the commandments and instructions within the same book that support and excuse slavery.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

I commented on this thread a few days ago and since then have read with interest the various replies. It is certainly a deeply emotive subject.

My view is from the perspective of a white Australian male. I happen to have 2 beautiful African American cousins but that is another story.

I was trying to make the point that even though I don't live in the USA, the story of American slavery has become legendary around the world because of the countless books, movies etc concerning the subject.

I know a fair bit about African American history just from poplular media and without googling I can think of words like Jim Crow, Abraham Lincoln, Uncle Toms cabin, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks. My heart bleeds when I think of the injustice suffered and is still being suffered today.

While it is extremely important to remember these events, I wonder how many African Americans would be familiar with my ancestral history?

Me, and a lot of other Aussies are descendants of convicts who were chained and loaded onto over-crowded, unsanitary ships and were sailed from Britain to Australia.

The convict system was nothing more than systemised torture and brutality. Many convicts lived their entire life in chains, eating sleeping and working in them. Floggings and various tortures were routine and harsh and carried out on men, women and children with the cat of nine tails and other devices. One eyewitness account mentions a 19 yr old boy that was suspected (not charged) with stealing food. He was given 300 lashes with 2 men flogging him at the same time and by the end, his spine was visible.

Starvation was another discipline used to control the convicts, once again on men, women and children. Many never saw their families again, the youngest female convict was only 11 yrs old when transported. Escapees were severely punished when caught. The punishments on convicts in Australia usually far exceeded what the punishment in Britain would have been for the same crime.

I could go on. Yes , I know there are differences between African American slavery and the British penal system. But there are many parallels and both groups have thrived and helped build our respective countries.

• Simon
    Simon

I watched the movie "Selma" the other day and apart from the unnecessary and unfortunate changing of important historical facts that sadly undermined the reason for the march, it was a good movie.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-movie-selma-has-a-glaring-historical-inaccuracy/2014/12/26/70ad3ea2-8aa4-11e4-a085-34e9b9f09a58_story.html

One thing I wonder though, why could opinions about slavery in the north change, but not those in the south? I know the south was more invested in slavery and probably so ingrained that it takes parenting and possibly generations to change but it still seems to be so associated with the south to this day, or is that just the convenient media view?

I've never seen any work done to find any of those on the 'wrong' side of the march - the troopers and others along the route. Did any of them regret their position and change their outlook since I wonder?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit