Optimum human Order, the Olympics

by waton 18 Replies latest social humour

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Anybody watching the Olympics here?

Nah. I'm not interested in watching attention seekers try to impress others for accolades.

In 100 years from now, none of their posing will matter, so it doesn't matter to me now.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

I like watching some sports and the Olympics is something to watch as a entertainment source but I think the value humanity puts on sports and its professional athletes is overly disproportionate to other professions outside of sports .

For example a young guy who might not even have a high school diploma can be offered 60 million for a 6 year contract because he can throw a baseball well, where a person who went to University for 10 years to become a surgical cardiologist saving many lives in the process might not make 10% of that in the same length of time.

So in realty we value professional sports more than any other active professions.

It wasn't always that way mind you.

• Simon
    Simon
    on a different note.
    Women's soccer gold was given to Canada by a Swedish player, who rolled the ball in the shootout into the hands of the Canadian goalkeeper.

The main thing is that annoying US woman didn't win :D

• Simon
    Simon
    but by cutting down the top, you are not going to help the lowest.
    some in the bottom are beyond help, and there is also the trickle down effect. the human race has been lifted up most by it's top performers in every discipline. science particularly.

I don't think Olympics particularly helps people. It doesn't even help most of the athletes, physically, as professional sports take a toll on the body and are different to regular fitness. What you don't see are the wrecked bodies of the people who didn't make it.

And "trickle down" to help the poor? Sounds more like they are pissed on. Maybe helping them directly would do more good than spending obscene amounts on a spectacle.

• waton
    waton
    offered 60 million for a 6 year contract because he can throw -------- well,

Rm: most olympians are not in that category, and the gory year in and year out of professional sports. is the most useless of human endeavours imho. and costly, paid for by all consumers, whether they like it or not.

• waton
    waton
    What you don't see are the wrecked bodies of the people who didn't make it.

S: well, ask them if they would do it again, now that they know they will not make it to the top. I would suspect very few would cancel that part of their past, even the abused East Germans, Russians and current Chinese greats.

Center stage at the olympic stadium is awe inspiring btw, even if you are only there to build the wt stage. ( the cleaning crews at all the seats gave the impression of being at the focus of the action)

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Anybody watching the Olympics here?

Nope! Not one little bit. Reminds me of what I told a self-important JW who competed in horse shows. "A horse show is only an event where horses show off their asses, to horses asses, showing off their horses!" Olympics are pretty much in the same category of interest to me.

• waton
    waton
    Olympics are pretty much in the same category of interest to me. H's A

FUJ, personally, the olympiad was one of my first impression as a kid, 5 years old, dressed in pure white linen suit with the coloured rings, first television, hometown pride.

just watched the ladies marathon, humans experiencing one of their best moments. victories over themselves.

Jws, always living in the future hope, might not understand how important every moment is.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Has anyone seen the letter from the Japan Paralympics swimming organization ?

In it they advise participants that because of Covid -19 pandemic and the safe distancing rules to apply

Lanes 1,3,5 and 7 , won`t have any water in them .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit