Do you think that race is a factor in education in the U.S.

by recovering 70 Replies latest social current

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    No, education has gone in the toilet all over the US. Probably the only factor is how much money does the families have In the district.
  • recovering
    recovering

My pointing out the problems minority students experience even in private schools, illustrates that even when parents attempt to leave failing public schools there are barriers to quality education. How do solve this issue? I think we all agree that education is the key to combating poverty and crime.

• recovering
    recovering

Crazy guy I agree that education in the U.S. has gone down in its quality. I question whether throwing money at the problem is a solution however. Perhaps education needs an overhaul? I really do not know.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Recovering I think you would be pleasantly surprised to find out that there were a number of black communities following reconstruction throughout the South as well as the North that held lots of wealth, land, and successful businesses. What usually did them in were poor / middle class whites that took advantage of the racial power they had to destroy these communities.

You really need to understand that Marcus Garvey was not actually on the level of a klansman. Wikipedia is one of the worst places to go in order to get a nuanced understanding of history. Garvey preached self reliance of blacks. He sought to take the teachings of Booker T. Washington to another level. He spoke of blacks not relying on the system or blaming others for their deplorable state and that the time had come to move along and build their own schools, businesses and wealth and stop waiting for handouts.

If you actually researched the meeting he had with that klansman you will see that he speaks about the fact that the Klan said what they meant so there was no hypocrisy where as most whites act as if they care all the while they tried to take advantage.

I am sure you wont want to read it, but the philosophies and opinions of Marcus Garvey explains all of this

• Simon
    Simon
    I am now going to drop a bomb on you Simon! You just supported a policy of a liberal progressive school!

Here's what you don't understand. It doesn't bother me. Unlike many on the left, I like to look at the issue itself and decide what is right or wrong about it based on my principles and knowledge of the facts, not just "who is doing it". This prevents any embarrassment or confusions about my position.

If it was a conservative school doing it and you thought it was wrong, that would indicate you had a bias based on the actors involved, not the thing itself. <- everything wrong with the left right now based on every reaction to "Trump did [something Obama did], OMG the sky is falling !"

• recovering
    recovering

Actually I would love to read it. Can you give me a link please.

can you also explain how even if minorities where able to set up these economically segregated zones that they would be able to protect themselves from the same fate you alluded to occurring to these other black comunities?

Simon I was in fact demonstrating that as I previously stated both liberals and conservatives have much to answer for. To bad you conveniently ignored my statement.

Just to be clear Simon you support segregation in education?

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Recovering, take a look at Chinatown, little Italy etc....

Try the diamond district in Manhattan, these are basically racially segregated business where the majority, asian, Italian, or Jewish community lives, assist one another and set up business that they benefit from as well as outsiders.

Harlem was once a hub for black wealth business and culture... not so much now.

It would be much more difficult for whites to bomb(yes the white folks actually flee a plane and fire bombed this community), or just outright take the property of mi oddities as they did in the past. The sad part is however that African Americans are to closely linked to a political party that hamstrings them into thinking they somehow have to rely on assistance so much of the pull yourself up by the bootstraps they once followed has dissipated.

There is also the elitist attitude that permeates the Amerixan culture that looks down on trades so most blacks get degrees in lower paying disciplines instead of first focusing on trades that would allow them to establish businesses and wealth. The Hispanic community is excelling in this area and their children are seeing the fruits of it now.

http://druglibrary.net/olsen/RASTAFARI/GARVEY/Phil-Opin.html

• recovering
    recovering

Thank you for the link silentbuddha

• Simon
    Simon
    Just to be clear Simon you support segregation in education?

It really depends on a lot of factors. If there are 5 minority kids in a school of 100 it probably makes sense for them to be together to feel less isolated. That's very different to saying there should be separate schools for blacks and whites.

It's really a trick question though 'cause you want me to say something that you can interpret to be extreme or racist even when it isn't. Here's a tip: don't be so obvious and consider not bothering, you're really not smart enough.

• recovering
    recovering

Can you see how segregating of those 5 children out of a diverse class can limit the educational experience of all the children in the school?What of the children who are nonminorities? Can you see how not being exposed can limit their understanding of minority culture and viewpoints? Would not integrated classes allow for better understanding of each other among all pupils?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit