Do you think that race is a factor in education in the U.S.

by recovering 70 Replies latest social current

• recovering
    recovering

I was wondering if racial bias is a factor in U.S. education?

Would you be concerned if it was? Why would you be concerned?

• blownaway
    blownaway

No, culture is. Black culture is rotten. They need to stand up and fix it.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    No, culture is. Black culture is rotten. They need to stand up and fix it.

I find this comment unhelpful and unnecessarily inflammatory.

It’s not black culture that’s rotten. It’s inner-city culture.

Black, White, Hispanic...either of those raised in poverty in the inner city have a much higher likelihood of ending up in a life of crime and never ending poverty.

I just recently moved my family from a small town of about 40,000 to the second largest metropolitan area in Florida.

The schools here are overwhelmed. The school board is inaccessible to parents, teachers are underpaid and schools are understaffed. School administrators are obsessed with politics and the latest cause du jour.

My kids aren’t dummies. They’re sharp little “turdles,” as my wife and I lovingly call them. But in the town we came from, they were average, at best. In this city, they’re top of their class, straight A students without even breaking a sweat.

I can’t quite put my finger on the issue exactly or what can be done about it, but there’s something about living in the inner city and having limited resources because of how many people are living on top of each other that makes the education system suffer.

• Bella Henry
    Bella Henry

Suburbia was developed and built as a whites only utopia, while people of color were given housing in the inner cities. That may explain your experience. Schools in predominantly white areas have more money, and thus more resources and better education systems. Schools in the predominantly inner cities and more people of color have less money and thus less resources and poorer education systems.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, but not how most people imagine.

Most people's idea of failing education for poor black kids is that they just aren't given the same funding that other schools get. The reality is that most of the failing schools get more money poured into them but just produce really bad results. This is because they money goes on people and pensions and administration and keeping schools open when it doesn't make sense instead of real front-line meaningful education, because it's controlled by unions and run for their benefit instead of the children. I don't know if it's racist or not if the union people involved are black? They then lower standards to mask their failures - because handing out good grades is easy, even though it doesn't really benefit people in the long term.

This is why many want a voucher system so parents can take the 'education funding' associated with their child to schools that will provide better educational outcomes and futures for them. In it's way are the vested interests of teachers unions and they contribute to politicians who will keep in place the current unaccountable and expensive system that benefits them more than the children.

Until there is a better system, the same failing school systems will produce the same failing pupils. Not because they are black but because their political leaders have failed them. Interesting how 'black leaders' are against voucher systems whereas more black parents are for them - what I don't understand is why the black leaders are still leaders in that case.

https://www.theroot.com/black-people-support-vouchers-black-leaders-don-t-who-1795711457

https://www.cato.org/blog/african-americans-speak-themselves-most-want-school-choice

Would you be concerned if it was? Why would you be concerned?

Why would anyone not be concerned? Ultimately failing education contributes to negative outcomes such as increases in poverty and crime. Again, I don't know why black people have for so long supported a political establishment that fails them. It seems like in many places there are two classes of black people - those at the bottom and those who are in some 'middle management' of society who have good jobs, government pay but sell the rest short. We then hear lots about 'racist systems' but people fail to notice that many of the ones running them are themselves black.

• recovering
    recovering

What if I told you that segregation was being practiced in school . What if I told you it was occurring in one of the most elite and expensive private schools . What if you found out that this policy of segregation was occurring in one of the most liberal cities in America? Well folks today's New York Post reveals just such a travesty.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/30/posh-schools-plan-to-segregate-students-by-race-draws-parents-ire/

"Parents are irate over a plan to segregate students by race at the celebrity-friendly Little Red School House in the West Village.

In the last month, parents at the $45,485-per-year private school — which counts David Schwimmer, Christy Turlington Burns and Sofia Coppola’s offspring among its pupils — became aware that Director Philip Kassen would place minority middle-school students in the same homerooms come fall.

They also learned that the race-based placement policy had already been in effect for the 2017-18 school year for 7th and 8th graders, and would likely be expanded to the 6th grade in September."

• waton
    waton

It is not skin colour. some of the smartest children are consistently not necessarily white.

check the spelling contests. The bias at Harvard.

• recovering
    recovering

Waton as you seem to have picked up I never mentioned that it was a white vs black bias.

• Simon
    Simon
    What if I told you that segregation was being practiced in school . What if I told you it was occurring in one of the most elite and expensive private schools . What if you found out that this policy of segregation was occurring in one of the most liberal cities in America? Well folks today's New York Post reveals just such a travesty.

A private school can do what it wants. The parents pay the fees and part of why they chose to pay such high fees is driven by who they don't want to go to their school. Like it or not, poorer children would act as a drag on their elite education.

But that is nothing todo with race, it's todo with wealth. Wealthy people can always afford 'the best' whether that is education, healthcare or legal advice. It's not racism and if you think it is then you are looking for it too hard. You may be a racist.

some of the smartest children are consistently not necessarily white.

There is racism with admissions when it comes to Asian kids being discriminated against and it's wrong.

Anytime someone is admitted or not admitted or otherwise given a different outcome based on their color, it's racism. It doesn't matter who is gaining or losing, it's racism. There's no guarantee that the black kid being given a pass doesn't have multi-million $$ parents and the white or Asian kid excluded despite better attainment scores is from a poorer background.

Discrimination and unfairness is not the way to correct discrimination and unfairness.

• recovering
    recovering

Actually Simon these kids are from wealthy minority families. The Minority parents are paying the same amount as the non minority parents to educate their children at this school. So much for your theory. In fact the segregation policy was withheld from all the parents , both minority and non minority until recently.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit