Hebrews 13:8

by Acer21 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Acer21
    Acer21

Hebrews 13:8

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."

The book of Hebrews declare that Jesus is God in this verse. Do JW's refute this? If so, how do they interpret this passage?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Why should it be a problem?
    Verse 15 rules out any idea that Jesus is God.
    Heb 13:15 Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.

Any common sense reading of a statement that worship of God is through Jesus necessarily rules out the idea that Jesus is God.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Acer, if God & Jesus are one and the same, (no H.S. mentioned!) then the following two scriptures need some explaining:

(Galatians 3:20) Now there is no mediator when just one person is involved, but God is only one.

(1 Timothy 2:5) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus,

It would appear that two separate parties are involved with men here.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Why should it be a problem?

Because JWs teach that Jesus is actually the angel Michael. How could Jesus be Michael if he is the same today as yesterday. How could he have been created if he is the same today as yesterday?

• Magnum
    Magnum
    The book of Hebrews declare that Jesus is God in this verse.

How do you arrive at that conclusion? I don't see anything in the wording that indicates that Jesus is God. I read the verse as saying that Jesus is the same "yesterday" (past - not necessarily eternal past), "today" (present), and "forever" (eternal future). How does that indicate he is God?

TTWSYF, I don't see an issue with what you wrote about Michael. If Jesus was Michael, he was still the same person, just perhaps operating in a different role or capacity.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever . . . DEAD AND GONE!

• lriddle80
    lriddle80
    The Jehovah's witnesses will say anything to rob Jesus of the glory his father gave him. The Bible does teach the Trinity. It's like a mosaic. Bits and pieces of things that when you take a step back you see a picture form. It took me 10 years to finally admit that I believe in it. I would read a passage and say, "Hmmm, interesting" and then one day I bowed my knee, so to speak. I felt compelled to do it. Through my 10 years of being a Christian I had always felt like something was missing...after this realization, I don't feel like that anymore!!
  • cofty
    cofty

If Jesus was once the logos as a spirit along with the Father.

Then he was incarnated as a human.

Then he was resurrected in his human body and glorified back in heaven ....

How can it be said that 'He is the same yesterday, and today and forever'?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Most of the problem in understanding this sort of thing is that many people (including the WT) have a materialistic view of humanity. ie, "You" is made up of your body only.

The bible says that man is a Tri-Partite being.

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. - 1 Thess. 5: 23

In the bible, "You" could be referring to your body, soul, or spirit...either individually or collectively. Bible writers assume this understanding.

Scriptures like Hebrews 13:8 are no problem with this prior understanding.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

How can it be said that 'He is the same yesterday, and today and forever'?

It IS not said. It IS written in the scriptures.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit