How do you tell your spouse you no longer believe in God?

by Darkknight757 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I believe in God, he came to this planet pissed out some DNA and crapped out some bacteria then off he went. We have been on our own ever since.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Very, very tough situation. I just can't think of a way to tell your spouse ''you no longer believe in God''.

Probably I'm thinking, is by one's actions. No longer contributing to ''spiritual things'' at all. By not going to meetings AT ALL, and becoming inactive. That may make someone realize ''you no longer believe in God''.

Sorry, I wasn't much help. But that's all I can think of.

• Lostwun
    Lostwun

My hubby and I are both born in's. It was frightening to try and think of way to break the news.

What I did that helped lessen the initial impact of my decision was to sit down together calmly hand and hand and gently explain that what I was about to say was going to be hard to hear but that I wanted to be honest. I gave him the option that if he couldnt handle what I was about to tell him and felt that he needed to leave the relationship that I would understand. I explained calmly that I no longer believed and let this sink in. It no doubt hurted him and he cried as he realized all our jw dreams together just got blown up but after the initial shock his commitment and love for me outweighed the break up of the religious aspect.

It was the mistake that I made months later in overloading him with too much anti -WT and debating with him over the religion that caused him running to family who in turn ran to the elders. So Don't do that. Just tell her how you feel then let her get over the initial shock and leave it be. Dont go into any further details and ask that she can respect your religious differences.

Hopefully her love for you will outweigh the wt indoctrination.

Best wishes

Lostwun

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

1) The consistent replacement of supernatural explanation of the world with natural ones.

2) The inconsistency of world religions.

3) The weakness of religions argument, explanation and apologetics.

4) The increasing diminishment of God.

5) The fact that religions runs in families.

6)) The complete failure of any sort of supernatural phenomena to stand up

to rigorous testing. (having faith don't cut the mustard, not today).

7) The slipperiness of religious and spiritual belief, especially JW.

8) The failure of religion to improve or clarity after 2000 years.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    "Honey, I don't believe in God, but I believe in you!"
  • Giordano
    Giordano

talking about this seems to be real hard for me. I still pray with my wife before meals but that's about it.

You could simply ask your wife to pray for you both or for her to pray silently either way it tells her where you are but it also tells her you respect her feelings on this matter.

Darkknight losing god is for many a bridge to far. They can leave the Society..... start a new life.....celebrate holidays but god is often so ingrained.........so I don't recommend that you go there.

I think you know this and that's why it's hard for you.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@Hadriel,

I think women (in general) tend to believe on emotional grounds, not logic.

They 'feel' their belief, the WT logic is more than enough. No need to investigate (due diligence).

Men tend to be more rational, also on religious topics. Unfortunately most of JW men are bedazzled by JW 'logic'.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Yes. The inability to prove the existence of God. And more and more credibility to evolution.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

I stopped talking with witnesses about my "beliefs" and that includes my wife. The way I tell them I don't believe in God is as follows.

I believe in what I know to be true...

The end

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Thank you for all the comments.

Basically I told my wife recently that I no longer believe in JW's and I have been slowly showing her why and that has been working very well.

I also told her that I will go to all the meetings with her no problem but not field service. She is also ok with this.

I guess for the time being Ill just keep up the act because I wouldnt want to devastate her by suddenly telling her I don't believe in God.(or at least the God of the bible)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit