JW detained in Putin's Russia ... accused of extremism

by mikeflood 44 Replies latest social current

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

It is amazing to me that JWs use their persecution in Russia as proof they are the true religion when there have been so many religions persecuted and banned before them and since them. How can they be so short-sighted? If they are going to use that as a measure, they are going to have to share the field with all of the other perscuted religions that must also be "God's chosen people".

Here's an old article that talks about other religions besides JWs being banned: https://www.newsweek.com/jehovahs-witnesses-ban-russia-religion-590350

• Darth FayDehr
    Darth FayDehr

Hi Orphan row. About the money... WTBT$ move money like pros - it's freely admitted in their own literature. For example: "In one suitcase, soldiers found a large sum of money. It had been withdrawn from the Society’s bank account two days earlier, as it was feared that perhaps the account would be frozen." (yb97 p. 121) There are other accounts printed. Russia has the halls, but contributions ARE illegally flowing back to this banned USA religion.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3
    The so called persecution of JW`s have to go a long way to come within coo-ee of the persecution Jews have suffered and endured over the Centuries all over the world.
  • Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    It is amazing to me that JWs use their persecution in Russia as proof they are the true religion when there have been so many religions persecuted and banned before them and since them.

Interesting. Can you list down all the legally registered religious groups that have been declared as "extremists"? Not just persecuted, but legally declared as "extremists"? Please include only religions, not nationalist or fundamentalist groups.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Maybe the persecution complex has grow and now the JWS are packing heat.

........ Ok brothers and sisters before we go out in service are we all locked and loaded ? "

• Darth FayDehr
    Darth FayDehr

Hi Finkelstein. You maybe onto something. Or, are you getting confused with this clip about Brother Maynard, from Monty Python? https://youtu.be/xOrgLj9lOwk

• stillMS
    stillMS
    I struggle to think of a reason they would plant such things.

You probably just have little idea of what's going on in Russia. They can come up with ideas 10 times crazier than WT stuff and do 'flip-flops' in their bold-faced lies 10 times a day. Governing Body can only dream about that level of brainwashing and deceipt.

Just for a quick reference - scroll through the Russian's versions of why it wasn't them who downed MH-17 in 2014, why it wasn't them who invaded Ukraine, why it wasn't their spies in Salisbury , etc.

Further, there is nothing new in that type of Russian's police behaviour: just check what the Russian occupational administration's 'police' in Eastern Ukraine have done with JWs (spoiler - virtually, the same thing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X8T3AXZJBY?t=152

• Corney
    Corney
    So, Russia finds 5 JDubs funnelling $7,500 in funds back to Warwick USA. Instead of doing JWs a public service by launching a MONEY LAUNDERING investigation, adding serious expose to the world media, we are sold the story of JWs concealing "a landmine and 2 hand grenades". Really? How believable? What a pathetic missed opportunity. It plays into the GB's hands, underscoring the "persecution complex" prophecies, and COMPLETELY DISCREDITS the legitimate story of a cult funnelling funds illegally back to the USA. Hard-core JDubs will be salivating over this as they raid Wallmart to buy their food prep supplies ready for barricading themselves into their bunkers. (Head in my hands, muttering my disbelief
    Russia has the halls, but contributions ARE illegally flowing back to this banned USA religion.

Legitimate story of money laundering, my ass.

First, there was not even a claim of transferring money abroad on behalf of police.

Second, there was not money laundering since there is nothing criminal in conducting religious meetings, "group singing of biblical songs, improving skills of conducting missionary activity, and studying religious literature, the so-called "Holy scripture" (bible) [sic]" (quote from the police press release and, consequently, from official indictment documents) - actions for whose planning and funding detained Witnesses are charged.

Third, transferring money abroad doesn't constitute a legitimate justification, even partial, for unlawful and harsh persecution.

Fourth, I don't understand what good is justification of such persecution.

Shameful comments.

• Corney
    Corney

Hi Simon,

I think the found explosive weapons could be unusable, possessed by a non-JW (e.g., an "unbelieving" relative) - or planted. It's surely not impossible that a JW possessed them, but the probability is too small.

Anyway, Russian media already use this "news" in their "The Eternal Jewhovist"-style hate propaganda and portray Witnesses as potential terrorists - very alarming move that can result in violence from misinformed or malicious law enforcement and state security forces.

drearyweather Can you list down all the legally registered religious groups that have been declared as "extremists"? Not just persecuted, but legally declared as "extremists"? Please include only religions, not nationalist or fundamentalist groups.

Good question. Neither Mormons nor Pentecostals nor Hare Krishna (backed by Indian Government) nor even Scientologists are banned in Russia. Many religious groups (incl. dissenting Orthodox Christians and Baptists) are suppressed but it's not a "crime" to be their adherent.

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Luke 22

37 For I tell you that what is written must be accomplished in me, namely, ‘He was counted with lawless ones.’ For this is being fulfilled concerning me.” 38 Then they said: “Lord, look! here are two swords.” He said to them: “It is enough.”

49 When those around him saw what was going to happen, they said: “Lord, should we strike with the sword?” 50 One of them even struck the slave of the high priest, taking off his right ear.

Has it not been considered that there are all kinds of groups, and sub groups of those groups, and clinger onners...

It is entirely possible that there are stupid JWs in Russia who don’t really understand how things work and who can have very stupid ideas.

Perhaps individuals who are “weak”, still studying and whose understanding of JWdom was just ‘not there’.. perhaps they came from a military background...

It is certainly possible that some ‘dull knife’ JW had access to some hardware and thinking he was protecting, created this new twist.

What, JWs are brilliant??? And Russian JWs smarter still???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit