Fender - Bumper
    Hood - Bonnet
    Gas - petrol
    Jelly - jam
    Chips - crisps
    Fries - chips

• ballistic
    ballistic

We have " whining "as a word here too, but it's old school. {Of course, we have "wining" as in wining and dining too!!!} I wouldn't say this example is the same as the other examples (e.g. bonnet = hood) because English has both words and they are not mutually exclusive to each country's language whereas some of the other examples are.

The English language change extremely quickly, thou will find.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    especially those soft southerners think that I'm a Brummie - Big Mistake!!

erm...? is tha sumpthink wrung wi being a brummie luv?

Brummie

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

<has always wanted to be a Brummie, but couldn't because she was a JW>

Thanks guys for all the enlightening posts! I think it's really fascinating!

Country Girl

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

UK arse = US ass

UK Fanny = female genitalia US Fanny == backside

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

I once met a Pakastani who told me that his first year in England was a nightmare of misunderstood vocabulary. For example, he heard the word 'Brit' bandied around frequently but a not uncommon name in England is Albert, usually shortened to 'Bert'. He thought the two were the same thing for six months. He could not understand how people could generalize away peoples individuality with such ease, uttering such statements such as, 'all Berts are the same'.

This is true, it is not false.

HS - Proud to be a half-Bert.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

And what of Country Girl's question about what Brits think of our accents? I have heard that some Brits don't care for the Southern USA accents. Of course there are lots of different Southern accents. They vary from one state to another and from one part of a state to another. Here in the USA there tends to be prejudice of non Southerners against the Southern accents and dialects though some find the difference charming.

In Georgia we carted our groceries through the store in a buggy. We put our groceries up instead of away. We ran to the store whereas in Michigan they quickrun to the store. They quickchange their clothes. They quick do a lot of things. Where I am from, basically all over the Southeast USA, we hurry up and run to the store. We change clothes in a hurry or hurry up and change. We do a lot of things in a hurry.

In Chicago, I lived there, too, they ask, "Are you coming with?" "Are you bringing that with?" In the South we ask "Are you coming with us?" Are you going to bring that with you?"

In Southern Lousiana, I lived there for five years they ask you to : come see. Elsewhere they ask you to come here. There say you have a boe boe when you hurt yourself. Elsewhere they say boo boo. They hop around and say oooo eye eye eye eye when they hit and hurt their toe on something. Elsewhere they say Oh oh oh oh! Or they say ow ow ow.

Somewhere along the way I picked up: I slammed on breaks or he put on breaks which means I or he stopped his car very fast. Or in Michigan he quick stopped his car.

American Brit

While = whilst

toward=towards

learned= learnt

Jehovah=Jehovar

nuts=gone round the bend

truck=lorrie

stroller=pram

realized=realised

idea=idear though when I was a child I used to say idear and Chicargo and my mom stopped me. That was when I lived in Mobile, Alabama where I was born, on the Gulf Coast. They say: yayis=yes, lay ingth for length, sayix for sex.

See, we here yanks have differing dialects, too.

What do y'all think? What do you think of our dialects and accents?

Heather S. And on that note: chicken in the car and the car won't go. That's how you spell Chicago

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Woops! That's Chicken in a car and the car won't go. That's how you spell Chicargo.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    That's Chicken in a car and the car won't go. That's how you spell Chicargo

Interesting, see in brummie this simply means "She cant go" shecargo.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Pram is abridged. It's really perambulator. Perambulate = to walk.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit