A question for the Brits...

by Country Girl 41 Replies latest jw friends

• yxl1
    yxl1

Sod this..I'm popping out for a fag...

• Gadget
    Gadget
    Is there a myriad of different types of English accents, as there are in the US?

There are a lot of different accents in the UK. In the North East you can sometimes work out where a person was brought up to within 5-10 miles just from the accent. I've got a very strong Newcastle accent.... And we've got lots of words even the rest of the british don't even understand!

• uriah
    uriah

I saay you fellows, but darhhling, anything past the Watford Gap is more-or-less greek to us dyne here, what with their

eee-by-gum's

well, oil go ta the foowert of mah stairs loove

and don't mention the whippets, I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it

Words to warm the cockles of a northerner's heart:

Black pudding

Whippit's

Pigeons

ferrets

John Smith's

down t'pit

flat caps to name but a few

yah, s'true, been there oh and back to backs, lekky and 'on the social' for our liverpuddlian bretheren

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Ferrets are great

• smack
    smack

smack wades in with his gumboots on

or is that strides in with his wellies on.

ooo don't get me started

down paddock fixin fence

wot? ought?

nah dun geddit

wathcya mean dunno wot 'es on 'bout

gwan geffugged )TM)

I mean, I can talk fer kn'ours and mebber Prisca will unnerstand

the again, ............

I had a game of pool with 3 blokes in Perth,

1 from Samoa

1 from Tadcaster (SP)

1 from Auckland

could not understand a ferking word said

Steve

• Englishman
    Englishman

That's a thought. Do Americans do pigeon racing? Even the Queen keeps racing pigeons. These are the Royal lofts.

Englishman.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Haven't heard of any pigeon races, but my neighbor raises rolling pigeons, and I've seen weiner-dog races! Does that count?

CG

• Matty
    Matty

chachasmum, as far as I know, the only person in the world who spells tomato and potato with an 'e' at the end is Dan Quayle!

Country Girl, The word 'whinging' is definitely Australian, it's not a native British term - the Brits learn a lot of phrases from watching Australian TV shows. One thing that surprised me here in the US was the woeful lack of Aussie programming on USA TV, and so the US doesn't get any exposure to Aussie words and phrases, hence the confusion.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    I got marked off on a lot of words in school because I spelled them the Brit way, because I was used to reading British works.

Did your teachers know that the English Language came from uh, um,err, oh yeah, England !! If anyone is misspelling words it us colonials.

Englishman, yes some do race pigeons here in the US. I worked with a couple of fellows who had pigeons and went with my wife's nephew, who lives in El Paso, Texas to watch him release some of his birds. Interesting. Bug

• neverin
    neverin

British accdents vary from town to town. I come from an area of the West Midlands called the Black Country (due to our industrial heritage) yet people from other parts of the UK, especially those soft southerners think that I'm a Brummie - Big Mistake!! I've never heard a Midlands accent on TV that sounds real - no one I've ever met talks like that it's a real pet hate of mine.

Sidewalk - pavement

drugstore - chemist

sneakers - trainers

bum - tramp ( a bum to us is a backside/ass)

jello - jelly

cookies - biscuits

biscuits - scones

Thanks all I can think of right now but what is it with calling the fringe of your hair bangs? It took me ages to work it out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit