New York Times article by ex-JW Missionary Amber Scorah

by Room 215 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I hope Amber Scorah`s book does very well ,and thank`s for the New York Times in doing an article on her and her book.

The more people who become aware of why JW`s leave their religion may help other people not to join this cult.

Exposure of any sort of this cult has to be commended and supported .

• dozy
    dozy

https://believermag.com/leaving-the-witness/

The superb original article Amber wrote - if the book is half as good , it will be well worth buying.

Whether "technically" a missionary ( generally in the JW world it strictly only refers to Gilead graduates ) I'm not sure , though I have heard of many "need greaters" calling themselves missionaries. It is also possible she had "missionary status" as a special pioneer , entitling her to the small Society allowance and a few other minor perks.

• newsheep
    newsheep

From my understanding when I was at bethel it was only brothers that could go to China due to it being under ban. The brother we knew was also not married and in his fifties.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

When she says “missionary” it’s clear she means pioneer, because she said she did missionary work when she finished school as many JWs do. She also describes JWs as a church, which is language JWs don’t use. I think she is simply using these words in ways that most people would understand, which seems reasonable. She was a missionary by most people’s understanding of the term, if not the JW definition.

I am curious now what happened to Jean.

I can certainly relate to the insight that most foreigners only listen to JWs initially because it is an opportunity to learn English. Many JWs who think they are conducting Bible studies are in fact providing English lessons. The double irony of course, is that sometimes these English-learning opportunists do end up becoming JWs despite their best intentions. So who is fooling who in the end in this situation?

• Lets Think
    Lets Think

I knew Amber and her husband (long since divorced) in the early 2000s they pioneered and sevred in a Mandarin speaking congregation in Vancouver. In those days the society was encouraged Mandarin speaking pioneers to go to China as need greaters. As the work was basically banned there they did not go with any sort of official missionary status. A lot of dubs from our area did this. Was all rather hush hush as often they were not even to tell family and freinds what city they where serving in. So yes she was not an official missionary, but must have used the term to help readers understand what she was doing. I ordered her book, looking forward to reading it, she writes very well.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    From my understanding when I was at bethel it was only brothers that could go to China due to it being under ban. The brother we knew was also not married and in his fifties.

My sister in law served in China as a single sister. Her parents were there, but she was in a different city than them.

• fulano
    fulano

Jalapeno, a need-greater can go wherever she or he wants to go. To society takes no responsability for them.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

It does sound like she was a need-greater who went to China basically on her own, as they do nowadays.

• Nathan Natas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit