The length of a public talk

by Farmer Jim1 17 Replies latest jw friends

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Remember the 55 minutes, a 15 minute break and watchtower 2 or even 3 part articles.

Now the talks are interchangeable; different slant on the same guilt and carrot. The WT is 3 paragraphs of introduction, 3 paragraphs of review, and a preview of next week.

Dont go into the midweek skits and slow learner material

• Nikolaus
    Nikolaus

Until the 1970s, there used to be a short break for smoking a cigarette between talk and WT-session.

• blondie
    blondie

I anticipate that eventually there will be video public talks recorded and used instead of in person speakers. Even with the so-called school, there are very few really "good" speakers. Not that the videos of the GB show much quality.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

when i used to do public talks--an hour log jobs--no script just a theme.

The habit then was to ask a member of the audience to read out loud a bible verse. I used to pick anyone nodding off to sleep.

Ive often wondered if i had given a 30 minutes talk--then smoothly repeated it all for the next 30 mins--would anyone have noticed ?

• Biahi
    Biahi

I agree with Blondie, as they lose more and more ‘servants’ they will use the videos for most talks. 🤷‍♀️

• St George of England
    St George of England

My first Public Talk, back in the 1960's was the full length version. It was about the flood and I actually believed it then. The audience clapped at the end, mainly relief that it was over rather than appreciation for the delivery I'm sure.

I do not remember anyone going out for a fag after the talk, we all had a cup of tea and then got on with the WT.

I don't think many in our congregation could manage an hour's talk, I certainly could not imagine listening to any of our lot for that length of time.

One slightly good thought, you were able to count an hour on your service report for giving the talk.

George

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

The idea of reverse witnessing through public talks must be a real fear, as nowadays assembly talks and public talks have an assigned outline reader in the audience to make sure you're not veering too much from the script.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''I agree with Blondie, as they lose more and more ‘servants’ they will use the videos for most talks. ''

more nauseating..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit