The length of a public talk

by Farmer Jim1 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Farmer Jim1
    Farmer Jim1

Does anyone ever wonder the good they could have done instead of giving a public talk for 45 or 30 minutes?

I remember giving my first public talk aged 18 and even then I was thinking ' this is just me making up half truths trying to blind people with JW propaganda'. Fast forward 15 years to when I gave my final public talk and I was so close to seeding the 30 minutes with ideas that could possibly wake people up but I never had the guts.

In that 30 minutes I could have done so much real good for a person instead of spreading this awful religions dogma. I still feel guilty about it to this day 6 years later...

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I was the PO and only guy in a foreign assignment. I often gave the entire meetings. At the end I had enough doubts to prevent my actually delivering a part but asked the congregation to pray for help. I was in a weird place. Years later I spoke with someone from that KH and they said they didn't remember that, and that they never could understand my accent anyway. lol

• carla
    carla

Your post got me thinking of a poster we used to have, 'Little Toe'. He did a talk as a good bye I guess. You can see the thread here https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/107638/wow-littletoe

And go to his talk, outline, etc... here- https://www.angelfire.com/trek/littletoe/Profile.html

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Little Toe was great! I hope he is doing well in his homeland. If I remember correctly, one of the female posters on here married him. She might have been from Texas and met him on this forum. That was about 2004 or 2005.

• Riley
    Riley

How did you deal with long prayers ? Boy if it just started to become a show I would just walk out of a meeting.

If it was before a meal , I would just start eating.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

In 30 minutes of yapping about how joke-hova is going to heal the environment, one could have gone into a forest infested with Chinese wisteria vines and cut down enough of those vines to save perhaps 15 or 20 trees. Or one could fill a trash bag with plastic that otherwise would have ended up in the ocean. (And not wasting all the gas driving to the boasting session.)

In 30 minutes, someone could have gone to a supermarket and helped an elderly or house-bound friend or relative getting their groceries. One can help repair a bicycle (especially if said repair is a cable replacement, brake adjustment, a flat tire, or tightening loose bolts) for a friend. (Or your own, so you can take it out to the store for a short errand instead of the car.) You could also do some work on your own yard, if you own a house, to make it look more attractive.

And if the prayers are excessively long, add that to the amount of time you could be doing something constructive instead of wasting time asking that beady-eyed abomination to do anything.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

30 minutes? That is for sissies!

When I gave my first Public Talks they were 55 minutes, and the audience had to endure them! Actually I did my best to keep it interesting but some of the outlines were , well you know…..

They changed to 45 minutes for a number of years. By the time they changed to 30 minutes I was leaving. I remember saying to my wife that that I would not have been prepared to drive several miles to give a talk that short . It is hardly worth it, but they do , don’t they.

I could never have done it if I did not believe what I was saying. I really did….

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

So this is evidence / proof that the JW religion is truly fading away . Slowly but surely .

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I was in charge of the Pubic Talks(tm) as an Elder(tm). I read all of the scripts. Some of them were really disjointed and fairly senseless. I can't recall the specifics. Thinking back, they were just do more, give us your life propaganda. They were supposed to be for the Public as if for a first time listener.

My diagnosis. They were crap!

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Yep I remember the pt was 55 minutes, the watchtower was like 25 paragraphs and would usually run over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit