Society

by tyydyy 13 Replies latest jw friends

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

What a strange word to use when talking about your religion. Doesn't that sound like cult language?

It turns out that it was appropriate. They were trying to create a society of people seperate from the rest of the world. Scary when you think about it.

Tim

• Emma
    Emma

Exactly cult-like. My kids pointed this out to me. The "organization", the "brothers." So much of the pure vile language is all that is needed to show it's truly a cult.

Emma

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

I think the original idea came from N H Knorr, who wanted to create a NEW WORLD SOCIETY, which would be the nucleus of those who would survive Armageddon into the "righteous new world."

• twolips
    twolips

It does sound cultish. The Society says this; The Society says that. For a short period I atteneded meetings again in 1999 after not attending for 10 years, I noticed this phrase was never used from the platform and by current members. It has been replaced by the Slave, shortened from the faithful and discret slave. Any one else notice this word phased out in this way?

• yxl1
    yxl1

Even though I was bought up using this type of language, I always thought it was a little too strange to use and since leaving, well it just sounds odd. Now when dub-family members talk about "The society", "Brothers and Sister", "Organization" "Field service" "Troof" "The hall" in regular conversation, and sometimes with non-witnesses, it really makes me cringe. They sound like the brainwashed idiots they really are, and I find it embarrissing that I was once a part of them.

• mustang
    mustang

It reminds me of one consulting job for a large company. The chief contractor and I are standing in the lobby of this company, looking out the door. He observes that "it's scary when a company has it's own flag.."

Add "The Friends" to that list of phrases, although this one is associated with Quakers, as well. ALL OF THIS SHOULD MAKE ALARM BELLS GO OFF!!!

Perhaps we are dated, if we use this terminology; but they do have a updated replacement phrase. So, the secret jargon rolls right along...

Mustang

• rocketman
    rocketman
    looking out the door. He observes that "it's scary when a company has it's own flag.."

Interesting point mustang!

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Two:

It does sound cultish. The Society says this; The Society says that. For a short period I atteneded meetings again in 1999 after not attending for 10 years, I noticed this phrase was never used from the platform and by current members. It has been replaced by the Slave, shortened from the faithful and discret slave. Any one else notice this word phased out in this way?

Yep, sure do.....and I hate that they say the Slave. What if someone walked off the street and came into the KH and heard the brother on the platform say something about the "Slave", I wonder what that person would be thinking...

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    They were trying to create a society of people seperate from the rest of the world.

I can think of several other people who tried doing the same thing:

* Adolph Hitler

* Mao Tse-Tung

* Kim Jong Il

* Josef Stalin

• shotgun
    shotgun

I read a book entitled The New World Society which dealt with the NY International conv in the 50's...it's supposed to be a spiritual boost(JW style), but with my blinders off the writer unknowingly makes them look silly by constantly exposing false and changed teachings.

Shotgun * faithful and discreet shave class*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit