Society

by tyydyy 13 Replies latest jw friends

• AlanF
    AlanF

Actually the term "the Society" took on a cultish tone in the 1920s, when Rutherford was consolidating his power and getting rid of the "creature worship" of Russell. But because Rutherford was the absolute dictator of the Watchtower Society, "the Society" was really the cult of J. F. Rutherford.

AlanF

• Gadget
    Gadget
    Even though I was bought up using this type of language, I always thought it was a little too strange to use

I didn't notice how different the language used in the liturature is until I scanned a few Watchtower articles and used a program to convert them to a word document. When I try to run the spell and grammer check on them it stops all the time because of the grammer used by the society to put their point across.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

"It does sound cultish. The Society says this; The Society says that. For a short period I atteneded meetings again in 1999 after not attending for 10 years, I noticed this phrase was never used from the platform and by current members. It has been replaced by the Slave, shortened from the faithful and discret slave. Any one else notice this word phased out in this way?" A few years ago the Watchtower made it a point in a study article that the JWs should not use the phrase "the Society says" particularly in front of non-JWs. In fact they said that one should say, "I believe the Bible to teach....". They said that when a JW uses the phrase "the Society says" it gives the impression that JWs are told what to believe by some central governing authority. That Watchtower Study article was a great example of JW double speak. Jeff S.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

bit like the thousand year Recich Hitler tried to make

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit