Genesis 1:16 and apologists- vegetation before the Sun?

by joey jojo 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Talking snakes don't bother me so much after I saw a talking jalapeno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NzfoWfXnCs

Incidentally, in my linked note I added a comment about Pangaea and Panthalassa.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang
    I recall hearing a public talk back in 1973, during which it was claimed that the lack of light would not have been too much of a problem to green plants. As evidence, this talk cited some obscure scientist whom nobody had ever heard of. He claimed that he could get photosynthesis to take place without visible light by administering an energy “kick” from hydrogen (whatever that meant).That is what they said!
  • St George of England
    St George of England
    He claimed that he could get photosynthesis to take place without visible light by administering an energy “kick” from hydrogen (whatever that meant).

"In place of light, they supplied the initial energy 'kick' with hydrogen gas, known to be a powerful electron supplier." "The result was the production of reduced pyridine nucleotide by chloroplasts (that is, the build-up of a key store of chemical energy) entirely in the dark." Is The Bible Really the word of God? - 1969 p.23

This is also referenced in the old "Aid" book pp 1630-31.

George

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Doing a little bit of digging, I noticed that the Hebrew word for 'heaven' , haš·šā·ma·yim, can also be translated to simply 'sky'. The same word is used at gen 1:1, and again at Gen 1:20 when describing the place birds fly. Knowing that birds dont fly in outer space, Im leaning towards 'the heavens' referring to what we would call the sky above us and not space, containing stars, galaxies etc.

The idea of an opaque, water vapour canopy has always been a bit odd for me, as Gen 1:14 says that the newly created lights in the sky were to serve as signs to mark time and the changing of the seasons. If that was the case, why were they hidden behind a cloud canopy, if the very reason they were made was so humans could see them and tell the time?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Well when I was a sprog Watchtower would say Genesis described things "as it would be perceived from the point of view of someone on Earth." So in other words, the Sun was there but because we couldn't yet see it, it kind of wasn't listed...so to speak.

Good grief.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    What is more important right now, in my opinion, is why does the Universe appear to be conscious

I agree. How any kind of consciousness arrives is simply incredible.

It’s been described as watching a show on an old TV, you see the picture, but when you look inside the TV, there’s only parts...
    The picture/energy/frequency is being broadcast..
    DD

Wow. Fantastic analogy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit