Watchtower Philosophy Debates

by Wild_Thing 21 Replies latest jw friends

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

The phrase is "I couldn't care less". If you could care less, that means you DO care a little bit!

Message sponsored by the grammar police!

• TD
    TD

JW's are not given to philosophic introspection. Far from it....

• waton
    waton

TD, but JWs seem to be good at navelgazing, not being able to see beyond their wt- defined realm.

wild_thing, thank you for starting this, I took the de-bate-s. Perhaps only simpletons stick to the dry doctrinal matters, like the current 2018 March wt mag Bible references.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WILD THING:

I would never have the patience to either read or listen to this now because I consider the religion's doctrines to be bullshit.

AVERAGE JOE:

I am glad you are the grammar police but I think it's a losing battle. Don't want to hurt anybody's feelings but there are alot of nice people with poor grammatical and writing skills.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I too usually just scroll past any biblical or theological debates. It's a bit like listening to two nerds discussing if Gandalf the Gray had gray hair or white hair - each citing different passages from Tolkiens work to support their positions - in the end who cares? It's a fictional character!!!

But there are still a few topics I've found interesting. Like how there's lots of historical evidence for people being crucified on cross' in the first and second centuries. Or that the doctrine of hell fire really is a biblical message that doesn't require any mental gymnastics. And that the teaching of a Trinity - from a Biblical sense - is on a lot more solid footing than I ever imagined. Etc.

But my interest in these topics only exists as far as my JW ignorance. That is to say - how surprising it is how little I knew about a book I supposedly studied every single week.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from Coded Logic:

But my interest in these topics only exists as far as my JW ignorance. That is to say - how surprising it is how little I knew about a book I supposedly studied every single week.

And there you have the very core of the rotten apple. Amazing, isn't it?

The "secret" mission of the WTBorg Cult Inc.

• waton
    waton

My interest in these topics is only to expose the wt as wrong, with humour if possible. Mental gymnastics for my aging mind's sake too.

commenting, not endorsing.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

This is the absolute truth. While I am not interested in debating anything Watchtower, sometimes I find myself reading things about their beliefs that I didn't even know, and I was a 3rd generation JW.

For example, I was a 3rd generation JW, elder dad, I was a pioneer, and I have been out for over 17 years, and I just realized that the GB (may) think that former dead GB members communicate with them. I don't know why it never occurred me to question HOW the GB claimed they got their inspiration. It all sounds so crazy now.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

My interest in these topics is only to expose the wt as wrong, with humour if possible. Mental gymnastics for my aging mind's sake too.

And waton, I absolutely respect that. We need people willing to do that. I just can't stomach it anymore. Apologies if I took your previous post the wrong way.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Yes that' the thing that gets me too. Is just how little I knew about a book and and an organisation that I loyally served for just under 40 years. Different things affect people differently. When I was first awakening I pretty much read everything I could on line. The different end time dates, Beth sarim, 144k, I'm pretty much over this now as I know it' just total nonsence. What interest me is how watchtower is having to adapt to the modern environment, their appalling behaviour and cover ups. The one thing that really gets up my nose is the flag flying in KH.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit