JW Net and Politics

by snare&racket 56 Replies latest jw friends

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@EdenOne:

Ok, let’s engage on this. What do you feel is a good example of the thinking on this site that is toxic? An example that is worthy of an entry into the DSM one day?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    In the context of JW's and politics I have much to say as I was suppressed from being political or voting by the JW's. I was a pioneer that loved getting home early on Thursday nights to watch UK politics shows on tv. I was addicted to radio political talk shows and pundits. My parents actually chastised me for my interests, being a JW.

Just to say Snare & Racket my best friend and I grew up in 80s Britain. My friend, an intelligent girl and a real blue stocking who was literally top of our school in all the STEM subjects, once asked me in all seriousness "who Margret Thatcher" was (as her JW parents looked on approvingly)!!!!

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

As I said before. This site is about all things you do if you’re not a JW. I’ve had discussions about sex and kink and politics and families and children and house renovations.

Right now, the left has made politics an issue in everything. Go to school - left wing politics, go to an event - left wing politics, sports, marriage, social media everything is permeated with left wing politics.

For those of us that escaped JW-ism, current left wing views are very much akin to the WTBTS - you can’t say anything negative about their leaders, they are always right, the viewpoints change by the day and leadership can be as abusive and hypocritical as they want, raping children as in the case of Weinstein, Epstein and Clinton, creepy rapists like Biden and Cuomo but you say something bad about them or BLM or Antifa and you WILL GET FIRED from your job and removed from society as what happened recently to Gina Carano or that guy from Bachelor or Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs or a host of other people.

So if everything is about politics, it makes sense that people on a largely anonymous site would like to speak their minds. The majority of people in this world does not like BLM or the anti-west viewpoints espoused by those on the left, but we need a place to speak.

• minimus
    minimus

I’m not so interested in subjects like people’s poems or books that they find most interesting. I don’t care for science fiction or threads about outer space.

My point is, I don’t typically frequent subjects I’m not very interested in. Should they be taken down because they are not my cup of tea?? No.

This site includes a lot of public interest. Not everyone has to be attracted to the same things.

• stillMS
    stillMS

maybe, it's because the WT related topics are boring as hell?

• TheListener
    TheListener

Thanks Snare&racket excellent post. Hope you're doing well.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Any discussion of politics on the net will only descend into biased name calling insults. That is the difference between political discussions and other general topics. That’s why many say never discuss politics.

As a Brit, I have zero interest in American party political debates. I just look on from afar and smile sometimes.

I agree with the original post that suggested a sub forum for that which would not show on the main board . I believe it would help the site maintain its core values.

Just my thoughts..

• minimus
    minimus

I’ve read some political British threads here. I’m not as familiar with the information so I don’t typically comment. So I move on to a subject I like. Problem solved.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang
    Any discussion of politics on the net will only descend into biased name calling insults.

If I may resort to a cliche "Never a truer word was spoken".

Irrespective of which side of the spectrum is being represented, a political discussion (particularly on the internet) is almost certain to degenerate into an exchange of "name calling insults", with left and the right being equally at fault. (Despite the "Our church don't do that sort of thing" type claims by both).

• minimus
    minimus

Regarding religion, if you said all elders are power hungry men, I’d vehemently disagree with you and if you called me vile names I might respond in kind. It’s not just politics that can create issues. I’ve had many JW conversations with people here who have come across as elite jerks. Whether it’s politics, religion or anything else, if you are abusive or rude to someone you might just get back some of your own medicine

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit