JW Net and Politics

by snare&racket 56 Replies latest jw friends

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    Good points but after 3 minutes, enough.

I know, my bad. I should use Grammarly ...

That individual is a purveyor, not a consumer.

He takes both roles, actually. He takes cues from existing well known conspiracy theories, modifies them to suit his outlandish prophecies and then spreads the word. Again and again. I didn’t know that Mr. King posted here as “YouKnow”. Just had a sense of it ... yep ... it goes way back.

• TD
    TD

Yes. He was a prophet of the Y2K apocalypse a few years before he came here and when that failed to materialize he was completely unfazed.

--Which to me, raises the question of whether he actually believes what he's peddling

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The sanctioned politics of the site is also frustrating because it’s a moving target. In the early months of the pandemic anyone who played down the virus or said it was “like the flu” was warned off making such comments. A few months later that was flipped on its heads and pandemic skepticism is now order of the day.

My own views have been pretty steady. I’ve thought it was a big deal and dangerous from the start. I think it obviously emerged from a lab, either accidentally or deliberately, we may never know. I don’t think you need to be conspiracy nut to be sceptical of brand new vaccine technology, and the motives of governments and businesses involved. But in the end I took the vaccine myself, despite reservations. Why are they still not talking about vitamin D, ivermectin, and other cheap treatments? I’m very suspicious about that.

Anyway let’s hope the pandemic will soon be a thing of the past. The latest figures show rapid decline in infections. Return to normal looks realistic within months, or even weeks. Next we’ll be on to something else. I wonder what.

• minimus
    minimus

Slim, you never know what the government will tell you should do. Wear masks. Don’t. Wear double or more. Stay 6 feet away. Actually it’s not enough. We need to shut the country down. No we don’t. It never ends.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Interesting OP, Snare, but I must say that political issues should be discussed.

You don't have to participate in political threads if you don't want to.

And, of course, this place still remains a safe place for JWs who are waking up.

• Simon
    Simon
    What I fear, is that such a valuable resource such as this forum, may be going, slowly but surely, into the same slippery slope territory.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but the world has changed recently. A lot.

Society has taken a sudden and dramatic turn to the left which has resulted in it invading many aspect of our lives.

Many benign things that had existed for years suddenly became symbols of nazism. I kid you not, Mr Potato Head is now a sign of the evil white patriarchy. No doubt anyone owning one is a white supremacist that reads Dr Seuss books to their blonde-haired, aryan master-race-wannabe children and feed them breakfast pancakes with Aunt Jemima syrup on while making "OK" symbols while holding the fork.

But did anything really change? Did those people slide to become right wing extremists?

Of course not. They are not and stay exactly as they are. But to hear some people, they have "become" right wing extremists. This is the trick that those on the left use. If you hold basic sensible middle-of-the-road beliefs, such as the belief that men and women are physically different, then you are somehow someone who has been transitioning to the far right.

The reality is that they haven't changed at all. The Overton window has been shifted so far left that it's warped people's judgement and the weak-willed and feeble minded think that they need to go along with it - that is what the majority usually do as demonstrated by numerous behavioural experiments and history.

Just like we don't really change - same forum, same allowance for people being outspoken especially when it's calling out misuse of power by politicians and faulty thinking of those following and defending ideologies instead of principles.

It's better to allow people free expression than to try to enforce correct expression. The only exception is when things are clearly already debunked with factual evidence and anyone repeating them are simply trying to propagandize. The line I usually follow is whether someone is genuinely interested in a debate and exchanging viewpoints or whether they are a cut-and-paste warrior simply trying to spread disinformation as often as they can.

• minimus
    minimus

Simon, 👏 bravo!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit