Does This Site Ever Change The Mind of “Spiritual “ Jehovah’s Witnesses?

by minimus 18 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Do you think Witnesses who come here believe that in fact they don’t have the Truth, after all. Or are we just preaching to the choir??

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

People searching or realizing something is not right in their jw faith will come here with questions and often be enlightened. For me it was another none witness site about the Bible and it’s oldest translation and commentaries written there that helped to open my mind. Once the mind was open then coming to a place like this is just another step in the awakening process.

• minimus
    minimus

I think that if someone has a doubt they would investigate this place. But I’m not sure if anyone has left the religion because even though they were true believers before they visited the site, they came here and realize that what they believed was not true.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It's mostly "the choir" here but certainly, if someone stays long enough, they want to be convinced. Other than a couple of over-the-top "Christians" who have passed through here to convert the heathens, and us confirmed ex-JW's, visitors here want/need something they aren't getting at the Kingdom Hall.

• a watcher
    a watcher

I'm here for info that I can't get on jw.org., such as letters to elders and info on child molestation lawsuits.

My faith in Jehovah remains intact.

• pometerre21
    pometerre21

Hi! I'm still active. I live in a household where it's kind of necessary for me to be right now. But I've always questioned things about this organization. I don't know if I am the typical "spiritual" JW that you would think of, but before I officially joined and made my first post today, I have been addicted to reading the threads on this site. So no, you're not just preaching to the choir.

• ScottyRex
    ScottyRex

'I think that if someone has a doubt they would investigate this place. But I’m not sure if anyone has left the religion because even though they were true believers before they visited the site, they came here and realize that what they believed was not true'

Blimey O'Reilly. How long Minimus have you been on here asking these same questions. How many years and how many?

In answer, no. I haven't really changed (with a lot less posts). In 16 years....have you?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Do you think Witnesses who come here believe that in fact they don’t have the Truth, after all. Or are we just preaching to the choir??

For some bizarre reason, people constantly neglect to think about all the reasons why a person starts waking up from the JWs. Believing in their teachings is only part of what they have to do. Yes, there are people who find that the WT is full of nonsense after taking a closer objective look at what they said/say, but there are others who lurk around for other reasons.

Many people here and lurking are not here because they found some discrepancy in something they taught/teach. There are a few reasons, other than doctrine related:

• They feel isolated and shunned in spite of them doing everything they are required to do
    • They face hard decisions involving relationships, career, marriage, health, habits, or mental health, and feel no support from their fellow JWs or the elders
    • They have been mistreated by their peers and/or their leadership and are hurt
    • Intervention from a loved one who they cannot say that they distrust
    • Disillusionment with the state of the WT, their congregations or their own situations (i.e., they still do not feel happy, their situation is not better, still addicted, still depressed, still... you get the hang of it)
    • Personality conflicts that may escalate; political infighting
    • Boredom (the excitement over "having the truth" is over)
    • Negative media exposure grows their curiosity
    • The wealth of rationalizations finally collapses; cognitive dissonance stops dissonating
    • Desperation, they are broke to the bone and their "Jehovah" isn't providing

None of those things have anything to do with believing. In fact, many people here who are very clear about not wanting to be JWs still harbor feelings and some of their believes, even though they cannot remotely entertain the idea of themselves as JWs again.

We might be redundant with some people, but I believe that places like this forum does a lot of great work to people who otherwise may not have any other sources of information.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I believed JWs had the truth when I came here. I came here with doubts about certain things, primarily issues with the CULTure, but this site was integral to helping me break down the truth about "the truth". You all spoke to me when I needed it most. I was a firm believer in the doctrine on my first visit, all nervous and shaky, with my wife's buy in on my visit.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    a watcher-
    I'm here for info that I can't get on jw.org., such as letters to elders and info on child molestation lawsuits.
    My faith in Jehovah remains intact.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit