How many are PIMO ??

by Phizzy 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Of two congregations I know many are there for appearances and the almighty social club. Many are there for inheritance and family businesses ( cleaning, cleaning supplies, restaurant, construction, renovation and sales ) So basically there to uphold the lifestyle, flaunt their wealth and to brown nose for gain monetary and social advantage. As previously mentioned most true believers now tend to be middle aged or older. The "Young Wans" like to talk about their businesses, cars and prized items recently acquired ( blessings from Jehovah of course ) as in phones, computers, clothes and of course for us Québecois " vacances dans le sud ! "

On edit : RV ownership, eating out and stuffing one's face in restaurants also score big.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There was an all time peak of 743,586 PIMO during the 2017 service year, which was a 5% increase on the previous year.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I think the percentage will vary depending on the region/country. I suspect the PIMO % is significantly higher in areas where levels of income and education are higher. In those areas, I wouldn't be surprised if the self-acknowledged PIMOs are 10-15%, followed by another 5-10% who would be PIMO, except they check their brains at the door or knowingly or unknowingly don't test their beliefs to simply avoid complicating their thoughts or lives.

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

Stan, Red Socks ? what are the Bros going to wear?

Well Phizzy I think it's obvious - tight trousers 👖.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I`m inclined to believe their are a lot more than we give credit for and probably more so among young males than females though I could be totally wrong about that ratio.

Whether they are aware of it or not a vast number are " in" simply and only because of emotional blackmail used against them .

"If you leave JW`s you will lose all family and friends who remain JW`s and will be shunned and ostracized"

Hence they stay "in" but are not believers anymore.

I think it`s a good post Phizzy

• LV101
    LV101

redpilltwice -- lolololol re/Kingdom "Hauls"! I can't believe I've missed that one as I'm sure it's been used many times -- hilarious.

This is a great post, btw, Phizzy. I recall this topic yrs. ago and seemed higher percentages guesstimated for PIMOs but if hauls are only half filled that's always a good indicator of the cult's future.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It's a difficult thing to define because when do questions spill over into doubts and when do doubts spill over into unbelief? It's a long continuum that most people leaving finding themselves travelling along over a period of time. Some people can even go back and forward in their mind as circumstances and focus change.

Plus it's even more complicated than a continuum because there is an infinite variety of accommodation and negotiation among JWs and their acceptance and rejection of Watchtower truth claims. Some JWs even think the GB are not hardline enough (one elder told me blood fractions should not be allowed and the GB made a mistake) which is a different sort of mental deviation than we more commonly refer to. Others might quietly reject the flood, accept evolution, not practice shunning, celebrate birthdays, not dontate any money or actively encourage others to join, yet in some sense still adhere to the religion. Are they mentally out, or somewhere in beteeen?

There also seem to be a number of abusers who cynically use the religion to abuse others. These people are also "mentally out" in a sense, although not in any sense we can readily identify with or approve.

So it's altogether a very complicated concept and of course impossible to quantify. Except perhaps to say that, in some difficult to define sense, the number of people who are "mentally out" appears to be growing.

• ohnightdivine
    ohnightdivine

Any PIMO from East / Southeast Asia?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    DoubtingBrother: Still, I think there are more POMI than PIMO. The cult programming is strong.

I agree. I am surpised at the number of people I have met during the ordinary course of my life that used to be JWs. So many and in so many unexpected circumstances and places.

I have met many, many exJWs who have never deprogrammed. I used to be surprised about it, but now I accept it as the norm. In spite of the internet making exJWs more visible, there are so many who never make it to these discussion boards and who never are able to escape that programming.

My mother held onto the beliefs for decades after she was disfellowshipped and only recently has let some of her programming go. She weaves her own spiritual narrative now but it is loaded with JW thinking patterns and JW doctrinal details. And so too have been several exJWs that I have encountered over the years. Hell, I have spent a lifetime doubling checking my own thinking patterns once I realized the effect cult programming had on my life and how I viewed the world.

I find it interesting how so many people self-identify as PIMO when there is a very wide spectrum on what "mentally out" means. A toenail out? an arm and a leg out? part of the brain out? or the whole brain? It's a really long journey to find "out". I suspect that the majority of PIMO and POMO equate "out" with a simple rejection of the WT/org's authority. Total deprogramming takes a lot of work. And a lot of time too.

I would never have been able to do that - still attend meetings and pretend a belief I didn't hold. I don't have that skill. Good luck to all who do it. Kudos to you

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good Post Orphan Crow. I was surprised when I first left at the number who had physically left but still clung to nearly all the JW crap ideas.

I too was unable to attend Meetings and pretend to believe, I had intended to, to facilitate a gentle "Fade", but I found I simply could not do it.

The problem was that the religion had instilled in me a respect and love for truth, this was also given to me by my parents, and when I discovered that the JW "religion" was the Great Untruth I could have nothing more to do with it.

As you say, Kudos to those "double agents" who manage it, it would be impossible for me to keep my mouth shut, and also not to vomit if I went to a Meeting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit