Suicide note from pedophile elder's victim..

by QuestioningEverything 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Years ago at the KH my aunt attended, there was an elder from a prominent JW family who was accused of sexual conduct with several young men in the hall. He was an unmarried guy in his 30's who wore a terrible hair piece/toupee. His sister once told me he was waiting for the new system to marry so he could have a perfect wife--isn't that funny?. He would take these young men and their friends on weekend trips to fun places or have 'sleepover's' at his house. It was later discovered this was when he would abuse them---duh?!

He vehemently denied the accusations. But, there were several young men who told the same basic story-that's how come the elders had to listen to the accusers because this complied with their two-witness rule. This situation caused a great uproar in the local JW community. Many were siding with the victims and many sided with the pedophile elder saying these young men were lying. They weren't lying. The elder was eventually DF'd.

One of the young men/victim committed suicide. He left a letter explaining his pain, distress and guilt from this horrible experience and how he was worried he would abuse his own kids one day as a result of this. I remember hearing about this young man and feeling just devastated for his family.

The elder who was the lead on this committee had the suicide letter from the victim in his briefcase. His wife got in there, took the letter out and copied it. Then proceeded to show it to others. Some were disgusted and couldn't believe she was so callous. Others didn't say a thing. My aunt was one of those who seen the letter and was disgusted. She let this woman have it from all sides. Several people told the elders she was showing the letter to people in the hall. Nothing really happened to this elders wife because she was considered a weak JW.

I tell this to all of you because I can't believe how someone's private letter detailing their sadness and pain could be passed around like it's not a big deal. AND the fact that JW elders are not equipped to handle such sensitive matters and this matter clearly should have been forwarded to the police! If it was, this pedophile elder would be sitting in prison right now-he's not. He's been reinstated and although he has never gotten any privileges back as far as MS or Elder, he still gets to associate with his family and others in the hall.

Disgusting.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Sad.

But at the same time confusing. Of the people that saw the letter, why didn't they report it to the police? Maybe the elders wife was in her own way trying to get people to notice the injustice. But since I don't know what she told others when she was showing this letter around, your perspective may be right.

The other thing is, why did the elder have it and not the family?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    One of the young men/victim committed suicide. He left a letter explaining his pain, distress and guilt from this horrible experience and how he was worried he would abuse his own kids one day as a result of this

This is awful beyond belief.

A direct result of Watchtower equating being gay with being a child abuser, as there is a good chance this young man was bi or gay.

I wonder how many deaths Watchtower is responsible for including the blood doctrine, it's homophobia and attitude to child abuse.
    Talk about blood guilt.

Edit:Days of future passed Maybe the elders wife was in her own way trying to get people to notice the injustice.

This crossed my mind.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

So we get shunned for leaving a cult and this piece of sh*t gets to be in good standing in the congregation? Only in WT could this happen!! Gulp down the camel and strain out the knat.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Is he allowed to do field circus? Why did noone call the police instead of getting the guy DFd? forget that, police first then stay mum when eldumbs start asking questions and refer them to the attorney representing you.

Hopefully street justice is not dead.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

This is one reason this worthless religion needs to be exposed to the world.

I hope nobody expects the JW religion to clean their own house as this is clearly never going to happen. I’m sorry for the young man and other victims and if I were there and had read his suicide note I couldn’t help but be moved and might have done something.

But, all the gossiping Witnesses there will keep THIS a secret while they regularly shred somebody else’s reputation for entertainment.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything
    Why didn't someone go to the police?

This situation happened back in the mid-90's. At that time, it was really, really frowned upon to go to the police with such matters.

My aunt just recently told me she had seen the letter. The woman who showed it to the others was not showing it out of concern for the young man. She was showing it because she was a mean-spirited, gossipy person. Apparently, she was always in the husband elders briefcase looking at what should have been private information.

The pedophile does still go out in field service. He is still at the same hall.

The elder overseeing the judicial committee had the letter because the victims family gave it to him. On a side note, this man was so disturbed by this situation and the WT's handling of it that he became inactive and eventually left the WT completely. He is now an 'apostate' and he is divorced from that woman.

• Incognito
    Incognito

elder from a prominent JW family who was accused of sexual conduct with several young men in the hall.

the pedophile elder

In questioning everything, this thread requires some clarification.

The pedophile word would mean the victims were children yet in the OP, the targets are only referred to as young 'MEN', thereby suggesting they were not children but were above the age of consent when the incidents occurred. Please clarify so that we are not making assumptions.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

The victims in this case were from 8, 9yo-15yo. The disclosure of abuse came for some of the victims years later when they were in their early 20's.

• Incognito
    Incognito

Thank you for the clarification. The elder being accused of sexual conduct with several underage 'boys' is now clear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit