Looking for a Book on Evolution

by Saethydd 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

"The Greatest Show on Earth" by Dawkins is not confrontational. He does more to lay out the basic principles of evolution than attack creationism.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

"The Greatest Show on Earth" by Dawkins is not confrontational. He does more to lay out the basic principles of evolution than attack creationism.

I may read that book to help inform my own stance, but according to the main review on Amazon, it wouldn't be suitable for the purpose I described in the OP.

"He repeatedly compares creationists and Holocaust deniers, which is a peculiar way of reaching out to the other side. Elsewhere, Dawkins calls those who don't subscribe to evolution ignorant, fatuously ignorant and ridiculous."

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

I think I may have found one, I'll let you all know how I like it after I read it, in the meantime if you find any more books or video series please feel free to add them here.

The Scientific Approach to Evolution: What They Didn't Teach You in Biology

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

The Origin of Species of Species by Charles Darwin.

Why not go directly to the source? Darwin believed in God and never just assumed that his theory was correct, but instead meticulously presented the evidence and did his best to answer the objections of critics.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Saethydd,

I am wondering if anyone is aware of a book or series of videos designed to explain evolution to creationists, (Specifically the JW strain of creationism if possible) without being patronizing or overly confrontational.

This book is about the talking points that Creationists make and the response that science gives. Its 500 pages long in oversize pages. Very well written and worth its price:

Science and Earth History: The Evolution Creation Controversy by Arthur Strahler.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Raymudas Martini,

I debate this subject with many materialistic atheist PhD scientists,...

First, your patronizing language says something about you. Saying "materialistic scientists" you sound like Donald Trump when he says "The Blacks".

and they cannot give me one positive mutation from any species that caused a positive change for survival.

Second, that knowledge is known by a few experts in biology. I've seen many examples of genetic change given in which the specific mutation is linked to a specific position in chromosome.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins was what convinced me. He wrote this book in the 1980s. I think he was less confrontational and stuck more to the science back then.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Blind-Watchmaker-Richard-Dawkins/0141026162/

• Mr Negative
    Mr Negative

One of the best, and easiest to understand, is "Why Evolution Is True" by Jerry Coyne. If you come away from reading that book and still don't agree that evolution is true, then you are lying.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"The Greatest Show on Earth" by, surprisingly, Richard Dawkins.

To his credit, he does very little religion-bashing in it.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Looking for a Book on Evolution - ooh yes, I know one.

It's blue, entitled Life - How Did It Get Here? By Evolution or Creation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit