Looking for a Book on Evolution

by Saethydd 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

I am wondering if anyone is aware of a book or series of videos designed to explain evolution to creationists, (Specifically the JW strain of creationism if possible) without being patronizing or overly confrontational. I would like to have something to recommend to people who challenge evolution, but I know that the sources which convinced me would turn most of them off because of the confrontational and at times condescending tone in which it's presented.

Some examples of what I'm looking for would be someone who doesn't claim evolution is a fact until after they have presented all of the evidence that makes it a fact and also have addressed as many counter-arguments as possible.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

found this free course - it takes about 5 hours - I don't know how much factual info it contains re evolution as I haven't looked into it yet.

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/nature-environment/natural-history/the-science-evolution/content-section-0

• Heaven
    Heaven

Berkeley Uni has an Evolution 101 set of web pages that might be useful?

(http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evo_01)

• Anders Andersen
  • Raymudas Martini
    Raymudas Martini

The problem is, Saethydd, there is evidence for evolution, that is, change over time. Organisms do adjust to their environment by incorporating different trait mechanisms, but on a very small limited scale. The issue isn't evolution, but the mechanisms claimed to cause these minute scale changes, mutations + natural selection. I debate this subject with many materialistic atheist PhD scientists, and they cannot give me one positive mutation from any species that caused a positive change for survival. Natural selection in not a force of nature, nor a mechanism in or of the biological cell, it is just a phrase. Mutations cause disease and malformations, and that is the only evidence an "evolutionist" can give to support evolution. So, evolution is good, it is good for medicine, for finding the mutations that cause horrible disease. But you will not get a whale from a deer-like mammal from mutations + NS....err.....evolution. A good place to start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJ-nvNoTSg

• Heaven
    Heaven

RM said: I debate this subject with many materialistic atheist PhD scientists, and they cannot give me one positive mutation from any species that caused a positive change for survival.

An example of a positive change for survival from mutation is found in the crickets on the islands of Kauai and Oahu. In a relatively short period of time, they mutated to become silent to avoid being hosts to parasitic flies. Reference: Quiet Crickets

• cofty
    cofty
    I debate this subject with many materialistic atheist PhD scientists, and they cannot give me one positive mutation from any species that caused a positive change for survival.

You are lying. I'm an amateur and I could give you plenty. There are quite a few in my Evolution is a Fact series of threads.

Mutations cause disease and malformations

Some mutations do. Those ones don't thrive in the gene pool. Many are neutral, some are beneficial.

But you will not get a whale from a deer-like mammal from mutations

You have never read a science book have you?

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"I debate this subject with many materialistic atheist PhD scientists" - Raymudas Martini

That sentence speaks enough of your 'credentials' that I now know you know nothing of this subject.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

and they cannot give me one positive mutation from any species that caused a positive change for survival.

Because all species thrive for successful reproduction within their genetic intent of sustainability of the environment in which they exist.

Its not a complicated question

• Saethydd
    Saethydd
    I appreciate the input, however, I would ask that we try to remain on topic. I would rather this thread not go into a debate about evolution itself. However, if you are aware of a book that presents a strong argument against evolution based on objectively provable facts, and is not rife with a mountain logical fallacies please, by all means, include it here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit