1958 VS 2019 International Covention

by joey jojo 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLKvocpun8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QUt4SR9eLo

So many emotional triggers and not much substance in 2019. At least they highlighted a part of a talk from Knorr in the 1958 vid, nothing but a lovefest in the 2019 clip.

People were so excited to meet the GB back in 1958, as they are today.

Also , imagine everyones anticipation of the release of the 'Your Will' book, a book I believe is not available on JW org library in 2019 and seems to be a reaction to the nuclear age and an obsession with the launch of the Sputnik satellite.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Ah!.......”Your Will be Done on Earth “, that is when books were study books and we went through it in a draughty old K.Hall every Tuesday

Now I know that it was mainly B. S., of course , but it was good at the time and even me as a kid felt we had special information....

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I`m with you BB I

I thought that was one of their best publications ever and so spot on for the times we were living in.

How misguided I was , King of the North ,king of the South , Daniels prophecy coming to light in our day WOW.

You had to be alive in those days with the cold war going on and the tensions in world affairs between the USA and the USSR , to really appreciate it.

For those too young to appreciate it I recommend a couple of movies about that era.

"On the beach"

"Fail safe"

"The bedford Incident"

and a classic " Dr,Strangelove"

not in any order.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Am I imagining it or is it true that the (B)org was not so "controlling" back then? (Not quite old enough to remember that far back.)

Also, note the age of those being baptized. No 9 year olds. The vast majority were adults.

I'm also pretty certain there likely was not a talk about DONATION$ every day.

Most of those (at least the middle-aged) people are dead. No paradise. No Armageddon. Sixty years wasted.

SAD

Doc

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Pretty much the same hyped up bullshit as they do today, exploiting people's ignorance fear and insecurities.

Distributed into print (Digital) to make it all look legitimate supported by the word of god the bible.

• waton
    waton

Looking at my own, lean, and those pictures in 1958, wt could never have that many people in stadiums again. the overweight crowd would not fit in, or in those buses for baptism.

thank you Monsanto et al. and

There was real fresh food served then and in the later ones, real kitchens, bakeries.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Yes, the absence of the morbidly obese and the distinctly adult composition of the baptismal candidates stand out in stark contrast to today's JWs...

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, I remember those days, just a young whipper-snapper then. But my family talked about it for years. How the did the WTS build up excitement ? See 1941 then the frequent use of this (6,000 years of human human history, until 1955, mention of 1976 end of human history, to 1966 then 1968 solidifying 1975 teaching)

In 1941, the WTS said this:

Watchtower 1941 September 15 p.288
    "Receiving the gift, the marching children clasped it to them, not a toy or plaything for idle pleasure, but the Lord’s provided instrument for most effective work in the remaining months before Armageddon"

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/quotes/end-soon.php

Then in 1955, the WTS said this all the while emphasizing that 6,000 years of human history had almost run out:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1955089?q=6%2C000+years&p=sen

According to Genesis 1:24-31 Adam was created during the last part of the sixth creative-day period of 7,000 years. Almost all independent chronologists assume incorrectly that, as soon as Adam was created, then began Jehovah’s seventh seven-thousand-year period of the creative week. Such then figure that from Adam’s creation, now thought to be the fall of 4025 B.C., why, six thousand years of God’s rest day would be ending in the fall of 1976. However, from our present chronology (which is admitted imperfect) at best the fall of the year 1976 would be the end of 6,000 years of human history for mankind, 6,000 years of man’s existence on the earth, not 6,000 years of Jehovah’s seventh seven-thousand-year period. Why not? Because Adam lived some time after his creation in the latter part of Jehovah’s sixth creative period, before the seventh period, Jehovah’s sabbath, began…

It was not until after Adam completed this assignment of work that his helpmate Eve was created. Since God created nothing new whatever on the seventh day, Eve must have been created on the sixth day; and this the divine record confirms in its account of the sixth day: “God proceeded to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them.”—Gen. 1:27, NW.

The very fact that, as part of Jehovah’s secret, no one today is able to find out how much time Adam and later Eve lived during the closing days of the sixth creative period, so no one can now determine when six thousand years of Jehovah’s present rest day come to an end.

--But the WTS came up with a workaround this in 1968:

Since it was also Jehovah‟s purpose for man to multiply and fill the earth, it is logical that he would create Eve soon after Adam, perhaps just a few weeks or months later in the same year, 4026 B.C.E. After her creation, God‟s rest day, the seventh period, immediately followed. (The Watchtower May 1, 1968, p. 271);

“A great thread by Terry Wahlstrom can be found at this link)

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/127651/creation-eve-interval-affecting-1975

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I was watching closely at the baptism candidates because that's the assembly my mother got baptized.

Also, pretty funny at the point in the film when Knorr was holding up the latest publication and right behind him was the advertisement for Knickerbocker beer and the guy in the ad was holding up a glass of suds right behind his shoulder, whoever shot that had to know that the angle of that shot was perfect !!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Interesting video. I was two when my mother took a train from California alone with me to NYC. You just showed up and they found you a place to stay for 8 days or whatever. I can't even imagine, but that's what they did back then.

I have mixed feelings about the video, probably unpopular here. It sort of seemed like paradise, a movement for a peaceful new order. It was easy to get caught up in it, you thought they had the answer to everything. Turns out they were winging it all along...they know nothing.

When something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Words to live by.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit