UK - please post names of congregations being disbanded/merged

by truthseeker 21 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I will soon be done with my JW charity analysis project. Can we make this an official thread for UK congregations being merged/disbanded so I can update the list. I will post the results when finished.

Truthseeker

• truthseeker
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

ryde i o wight merged with newport i o wight. kh sold.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

truthseeker: Can we make this an official thread for UK congregations being merged/disbanded so I can update the list. I will post the results when finished.

I don't think there have been many - TBH, most of the feedback seems to be along the lines of congregations moving to another KH, rather than actually merging or being disbanded.

Slightly OT, but below is from an old post of mine - comparing US to UK

There are THREE very big differences:

• Firstly, in real terms, there are 43% LESS JWs in Britain than the US when compared to population - this means that a US town of 40,000 will have a congregation of 150, but in Britain the congregation would only have 87 publishers.

• Secondly, as a whole, the UK is 800% more densely populated than the US - even the whole of England EXCLUDING London, is more densely populated than the WHOLE of the US (including New York State, but excluding New Jersey and Rhode Island) - but this means that people in the UK are MUCH LESS willing to travel.

• Thirdly, in the UK gas costs 245% MORE than in the US (East Coast) - so ANY 'extra' car travel is much more expensive

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/6221836369002496/_post/5071193692438528

truthseeker: Anniesland congregation in Scotland

It is still listed on JWorg as a congregation. They host a foreign language group, but otherwise they do not share their KH.

It would surprise me if the rumour was actually a possible move of the congregation to the next nearest KH, also with just one congregation using it, that is only a 10 minute drive away.

That would mean that the Anniesland KH could be sold, but the congregation would remain, they would just meet at another KH.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes Annieland is still there. They could easily move in with Kelvin congregation. But ordinary JWs would wonder why? Both are large viable congregations, capable of running their own Halls. If they are to share a hall who will make that decision? Do local JWs have any say in the matter?

Paisley and Renfrew congregations share a hall and only get about 40/60 at the meetings. That's probably a clearer case for merger if numbers fall a bit further. Clydebank and Dumbarton are not far, but both are pretty big congregations. Most Scottish congregations are pretty spread out. (Not easy to merge Oban with "neighbouring" Fort William or Ardrishaig) And the ones that share Halls (Aberdeen, Livingston and so on) are big congregations anyway.

Hang on there's no congregation in Ardrishaig? I thought there was. What happened to that?

• cofty
    cofty

Morpeth K/hall was put on the market and merged with Ashington.

(Morpeth is a very nice market town, Ashington is a dump)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I can find a picture of Ardrishaig KH on google but it's not listed on the website. Is it gone?

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

slimboyfat: Ardrishaig

yeah, doesn't seem to be listed on JWorg - but their charity details/accounts look up to date? They might have just been disbanded 1 Jan 2018?

https://www.oscr.org.uk//charities/search-scottish-charity-register/charity-details?charitynumber=SC020837

cofty: Morpeth K/hall was put on the market and merged with Ashington.

That's what I mean - according to JWorg BOTH congregations are still active - what seems to have happened was one congregation moved their meetings to another KH - the congregation didn't actually merge as per OP question.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Oban KH is a helluva arduous drive from Lochgilphead/Ardrishaig - and especially precarious in the wintertime!

Maybe they've been "merged" with Campbeltown. Just as bad.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I think darkspilver has it right. The tactics are to consolidate rather than disband. I can think of several congs limping along with fewer and fewer pubs but they just sell the halls and make them travel and share. That releases cod cash into the branch coffers. The congs have zero say in this. They voted to buy the land, built the halls, paid for them then voted their ownership away at the end of a service meeting one night and didn't notice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit