we are moving to Texas....

by Eyebrow2 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

all the way from Cow Hampshire....my husband is from the Fort Worth area, so we won't be totally lost.

My 12 year old son is really nervous about school. Any suggestions? He is a little bit of a wise acre (he asked me which Patriots Jersey he should wear to school his first day, to see how many Cowboy fans would jump him), but he really does want to get a long down there.

What are kids his age into down there? We even put off buying most of his school clothes until we get down there since styles may be really different. Any advice is appreciated...and of course....when is the next Apostafest in the Dallas area? I know about 5 people in all of Texas....

Thanks so much!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hey we were going to try to spead those ApostoTexans out around the world to serve where the need is greater. There are far too many of them down there

Actually contratulations. You will be soooooo welcomed with all those ApostoTexans down there

• Jade
    Jade

Hi Eyebrow2,

So are you guys moving to Fort Worth??? There are a few of us here in Fort Worth and several in the Dallas area as well. Have a safe trip. PM me if you need anything.

Annie

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Howdy eyebrow and welcome to Texas!

Let's see ... your son shouldn't worry too much about the Patriots. Since they're from the other conference most folks down here aren't familiar with them. Now if he were a Redskins or Eagles fan, that would be another story! I grew up here so all I would say to him, is just be yourself. It's not like it was when I was 12, there are so many Yankee transplants () now that it's become quite a melting pot down here. Sports are a big deal down here with the Cowboys and Mavericks being the most popular, although the Stars (hockey) have quite a following too.

Winters are somewhat warmer down here. Many days it's often in the 60s or 70s, but also be prepared for the temperature to change literally overnight. I've seen many times where it's sunny and 70 and in a couple of hours it's dropped down to the 30s with a strong cold wind. Dallas/Fort Worth is built on cars, our mass transit system is really lousy, mainly consisting of buses although we have some light rail.

Are you guys moving to Dallas or Fort Worth? There has been some talk of a Dallas 'fest late in the year but nothing's been firmed up yet. Let me know if y'all need anything.

Be well,

Chris

• Panda
    Panda

WooooHoooooo Another transplant. For your sone I just hope he likes sports! He might have some trouble with Texas Speak and the drawl factor, but he'll get real used to that.

Winter? We don't have winter? Clothing is cheaper in Texas..I don't know why? No state income tax (yet). Texans are somewhat closed mouth about opinions, except among friends. People mostly like guns here because all of the criminals already have them.

You'll see long horn catttle which are gorgeous. Learn to wear Ropers and Stetsons. The stock show and rodeo up there is great. Texas food is great. Texans welcome the eccentric. once you're in the state it takes hours to get out!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I grew up in the Fort Worth area and have worked in FW for the past 8 years. Many things for kids to do here. The big attraction are the water parks like Hurricane Harbor in Arlington and NRH20 in nearby North Richland Hills. Also going to Six Flags in Arlington is always fun for kids (be sure to get discounts though, they are charging $40.00 for a regular ticket.) Also we have Texas Rangers baseball in Arlington, although he may not want to see them. We do however, get a lot of the East Coast baseball teams here (Yankees). I have a 13 year old and he loves going to the water parks during the summer. In October every year, a favorite in Dallas is the State Fair of Texas, which began yesterday. A fun thing I like to do is take the young ones down to Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose. It's a wonderful place to camp and explore nature and the big draw of course is the dino prints left in the Paluxy River which you can cross and actually walk around in if the water's not too deep. Also going to the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History is wonderful. They have the Omni (IMAX) Theater which shows the movies and you think you're really there.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Thanks so much for the quick replies!

We are going to settle in the Plano area; I was supposed to transfer to my old companies Dallas office, so had done a lot of research on that area and like what I saw...got fired, so there will be no transfer hahah.

My husband has been a cowboy hat and boot, and duster wearing man way before I met him, and continued to do so up here in New Hampshire...which got him quite a few looks hahah. I have heard that the Dallas area has all transplants, and so was not too worried about myself fitting in. Good news on the football... I will pass that on to my son. I cannot wait to get down there and start visiting all the attractions!

We are moving because I have step children that usually live with their mother in Texas...do to issues we usually only see them every other year, so figured this was the easiest way to handle that issue. But. I knew we were going to move there one day...my husband is three feet off the ground when he is in Texas....

Thanks for all the advice....I cannot wait to get down there.....!!!

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Welcome eyebrow. Glad to have another sister among us. Hope to see you at one of our apostafest shindigs in the not too distant future. Bug

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Eyebrow2, you have a PM!

Nina

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

got it...thanks!!!!

wow....you guys are the best

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit